[Ohio-talk] DON'T YOU JUST HATE THIS!

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 04:13:38 UTC 2017

Hi JW, I totally share in your irritation, as does most everyone else on
this list I'm sure, which is why it's such a great forum for airing out
these frustrations.  Another one I get often is that I am faking blindness.
I guess I should take this one as a compliment, as it must mean that I get
around very well.  On the other hand, it's insulting because it is an
expression of how that person must think totally blind people navigate.

At the bar the other night, some guy told me that he wanted to know how I
experience life.  Obviously, I knew what he meant but I purposely played
dumb.  I told him that I experience it like anyone else; I get up in the
morning, go to work, repeat that several times then go out on the weekends
or stay home.  I told him that if he had specific questions on how I do
things just to be direct and ask; I have no time nor the desire to deal with
people who like to beat around the bush or refer to my blindness as "being
like that."

I also seem to experience these types of interactions when I'm not in the
greatest of moods.  There are insistent, annoying people but I try very hard
to remind myself that most people are just ignorant and a lot of times
there's probably a more underlying problem with that person and their social
skills.

Robby