[Ohio-talk] DON'T YOU JUST HATE THIS!

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:18:05 UTC 2017

Hi JW and all,

I too, as most if not everyone else on this list, have had this happen. I can shrug it off and usually just end those conversations since usually those people won't change their minds based on conversation alone, but two factors make some conversations stand out and rub me the wrong way sometimes; 1: if the person is in a field serving people with disabilities, I do perhaps a bit naively expect them to know and act better than that, and 2: if this leads to unsolicited helping based on assumptions they make about me either without asking or by ignoring what I do say, I have a harder time biting my tongue.

For example, a few months back I was taking a para-transit ride with an older guy as my driver. He was practically on top of me as I sat down, even though he asked if I needed help finding a seat and I declined the offer while moving back in the bus. He continued to stand over me to ask if I needed help with my seatbelt, which I also said no thanks to as I put it on. While he isn't the first driver to do this, in hindsight his hovering seemed even more annoying because of how the trip ended. As we were getting to my drop off he said he'd help me off, which I declined and said I was trained and used to traveling myself, although he made a statement rather than ask a question. He asked if I was sure, I said yes I was, then when we stopped he said again he'd help me and got out of the bus. I just walked off and got inside without him, since obviously my own words about my skills and how I needed to be helped weren't being taken seriously.
More recently on one of these trips with a blind friend, I told the driver several times we weren't in need of assistance in a polite way, but I think she could tell several times in I was getting a bit annoyed. She apologized and said it's a habit she does to everybody. In the moment I didn't know what to say to her and just wanted to get off the bus, so I stayed quiet. In my experience around Dayton, the older folks taking para-transit often accept help from drivers with boarding and seatbelt stuff, and it seems to decrease the younger the rider is. I can't help thinking people who have had disability training/whatever they call it should have learned not everyone needs or wants help, or the same amount of help. It's so frustrating to be not taken at your word about your own life experience. My jury is still out on why we'd conceivably lie about blindness not being terrible/not needing assistance, but ignorance and stereotypes make it seem like common sense and logic go out the window when talking to a person with a disability.

Kaiti Shelton