[Ohio-talk] FW: Second Sight News for June 30, 2017

Judy judysklarek1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 23:12:42 UTC 2017

From: Second Sight Medical Products [mailto:customerservice at secondsight.com]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 8:34 PM
To: judysklarek1 at gmail.com
Subject: Second Sight News for June 30, 2017

Check out the recent news from Second Sight!

Is this email not displaying correctly?
 <http://go.pardot.com/webmail/218942/83938009/6a41d5662eec004632f21050fd94a3de067c187ad3feb1427991e06b491d5139> View it in your browser.

Image removed by sender. Second Sight Banner

  _____

June 30, 2017

Here is your Second Sight news feed!

The upcoming Fourth of July holiday is typically when we focus our thoughts on independence and pay homage to our Founding Fathers and to honor and pay tribute to the brave men and women who fought and died for the freedoms that we enjoy today.  In this issue, as we prepare to celebrate our nation’s birth with a long weekend, barbeques, and fireworks we would like to relay a story from Argus 2 user, Jaime Carley, as she explains how the Argus 2 has helped her to achieve greater independence in her life.

A New Sense of Independence
By Jaime Carley

After I received my Argus 2, I realized there were small things that I had missed over the years due to my vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa.

Growing up, my father was in aviation. He specialized in weather research, and as a result my family traveled all over the world.  My father would teach us about different types of weather and how it affected our day-to-day life.  Looking back, I never fully appreciated what he was saying until now.

I was visiting my son’s house in Colorado last summer.  In the part of Colorado where I live, lightning and thunderstorms are quite rare, yet a summer storm was brewing while my son and I were sitting out on his back patio. As I sat and listened to the intensifying storm, it reminded me of a Kansas Rolling Storm— intense thunderstorms that you could almost feel in your bones. I have always considered myself fortunate to have had some sight growing up, and watching lightning is something that I had always enjoyed while I still had my sight. I have fond memories of listening to thunderstorms and watching the lightning as it would light up the evening sky. Then, my son had a great idea.

“Mom, you should go get your Argus and see how it works during a lightning storm. See if you can pick up the lightning strikes.”

After I put on my Argus, I could not believe it! I could see how the lightning was illuminating the Colorado sky and putting on a fantastic show. I was viewing nature’s very own firework display—bright, colorful, and loud. I was so excited to finally be able to see for myself what was happening in front of me instead of relying on someone else’s words.  That night, my son and I sat out for hours watching the storm; something I hadn’t been able to do for most of my adult life. It was an amazing feeling being able to do something as simple as watch lightning.

To many it may not seem like a big deal, but when your world has been dark for so many years, an event like the lightning storm becomes a truly life-changing experience. I have a new sense of independence that I had lost with my vision as an adult. Simple things like lightning and fireworks were always a big part of my life that I had enjoyed watching while growing up.  During my adult life, I had to learn to adjust to hearing the lightning from a thunderstorm or fireworks at a 4th of July celebration, while missing out on the brilliant displays of light and color.

Today, as I sit on my back porch watching the fireworks from the local racetrack with my Argus II, the joy I feel is nearly indescribable.

Message from the editor:  To all Argus 2 users reading this, please take the opportunity this weekend or on Tuesday to watch a fireworks show in your local area.  We have heard from many users that fireworks is something that users can enjoy with the Argus 2.  Please let us know your experiences so that we can publish them in a future issue or on our blog.  Email your stories to dtsutsui at secondsight.com <mailto:dtsutsui at secondsight.com?subject=My%20July%204th%20Experience!>  or call (818) 833-4136 and leave a message...and enjoy the light show!

How Do I Learn More?
Call Second Sight Customer Service at (855) 756-3703 Monday through Friday 7am – 5pm Pacific and speak with Gary, Alma, or Duane.  Or, send us an email by clicking this link: customerservice at secondsight.com <mailto:customerservice at secondsight.com?subject=Message%20from%20Newsletter>

Video: Watch news broadcast of Jaime when she first received her Argus II two years ago <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/W-MlwMcNxZ0/s4xx/83938009>

For more information, please visit us on the web at www.secondsight.com <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/2017-06-30/s4xz/83938009>  or call our
customer service hotline at (855) 756-3703

Visit our YouTube Channel by clicking here. <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/annel-UC-31Y1tCiD0OkV9OOemJWpA/s4y2/83938009>

 <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/2017-06-30/s4y4/83938009> Check out our blog at secondsightblogs.com

 <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/Argus-BionicEye/s4xn/83938009> follow on Twitter |  <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/SecondSightArgus/s4xq/83938009> friend on Facebook | follow on LinkedIn <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/ight-medical-products-trk-tyah/s4xs/83938009>  |  <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/offer-addthis-unique-lng-en-us/s4xv/83938009> forward to a friend

Copyright © 2017 , All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Second Sight Medical Products
12744 San Feernando Road
Suite 400
Sylmar, CA  91342
USA

Argus II is indicated for patients who are completely blind due to RP.  Possible side effects that may require further treatment include: wound reopening, low eye pressure, serious infection in the eye, and retinal detachment. For more information, including all potential risks associated with the device and procedure, call (855) 756-3703, or Click Here <http://go.pardot.com/e/218942/ortant-safety-information-html/s4y6/83938009>

 <http://go.pardot.com/unsubscribe/u/218942/6a41d5662eec004632f21050fd94a3de067c187ad3feb1427991e06b491d5139/83938009> unsubscribe from all emails |  <http://go.pardot.com/emailPreference/218942/6a41d5662eec004632f21050fd94a3de067c187ad3feb1427991e06b491d5139/83938009> update subscription preferences

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.