[Ohio-talk] Minutes from last DAN Meeting

Wanda Sloan wsloan118 at roadrunner.com
Sun Oct 1 22:18:02 UTC 2017

Diabetes Action Network

November 12, 2016

Breakfast Meeting:  Interested parties reassembled for breakfast and to make
the decision to continue having a DAN Division.

Richard Payne & vice President Sheri Albers from the board were present.
Others gathered were Gloria Robinson Paul Jorden Carol Akers, Dustin Akers,
Denver Jones, Sue ott, Sharon Norwood, Colleene Roth, Walter Mitchell, Wanda
Sloan, Alexis Tyson, Yvonne Soldaen, Joy Thomas, Susan Day, Karen Warner,
and Louis Mark.

After the introduction of breakfast attendants, Richard began the meeting by
saying that we did not need any explanation of why the DAN did not function
properly as a State Division.  And that, we should go forth to discuss
whether there should be the need of the division.

He continued to say that the Board of Directors has given him instructions
that if this division cannot properly function as a division under the
by-laws and constitution set before us that this division cease to exist as
part of this affiliation.  We began discussing the purpose of the DAN
Division, which is to educate, inform, respect, their independency of
Diabetes and their blindness.

Also, it was said that our purpose is to help the blind abdicate their
rights and promote the quality, security, and opportunity for all
individuals.

Richard focused on Lou Mark because this is his first convention and he said
that he was pre-diabetic.  A strong understanding was proposed so Mr. Mark
would become knowledgeable of the existence of the N.F.B. and the D.A.N.

The floor was open and individuals commented on what they would say to
someone seeking information on their situation.

 Members were given an opportunity to make comments pertaining to the
importance of this organization. Mr. Mark was impressed and spoke that "this
is the information that he needed to hear".  More positive pontifications
were addressed and the failure of the structure of the D.A.N. and what needs
to occur for this division or any division to function properly.

The majority voted to continue the Diabetes Action Network of the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio.

The elections were held and the following persons are the official officers
for the D.A.N., 2017:

President-Paul Jordan,  Vice President-Susan Day,  Secretary-Wanda M. Sloan,
Treasurer-Colleene Roth, and Board-Susan Ott.

Respectfully submitted by:

W. M. Sloan, Secretary