[Ohio-talk] update

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 10:12:05 UTC 2017

Greetings NFBO, I have included a message

from the national office so please read this email to the end. We will be in
Columbus

less than forty one  days from now. I know several of you are dreaming about
this year's

convention because I am. Sherri and Rachel are co-chairs of this year's
convention and

I need all of you to communicate with them about your request. They will
reach out to

you soon but be proactive and let them know you are willing to help, this is
our state

convention. I will tell you that Erick Duffy got himself hitched on
September 10

congratulations to Erick. We have been doing uber testing for a few months
and

Deanna Lewis is in charge of this so when you see her thank her for getting
the affiliate

five hundred dollars. I along with Christopher and Tim will be doing the ATM
testing and

it will bring the affiliate fifteen hundred dollars.

Several people have register for our state convention and Suzanne is
currently working

on a mask mailing in Columbus which should bring our convention to a lot of
people's

attention. I will be making the decision about the banquet mill and
entertainment   after

the banquet soon so you now have my ear until that time. I sent a message to
the

chapter and division leaders to get your current list to me and Shelbi
please get this

taken care of very soon. Shelbi and I need to know who will serve on the
nominating

committee at this state convention so chapter presidents let's get ahead of
the game.

The board of directors meeting will be Monday night at 7:00 PM the call in
number is

712/775/7031 use code 240281423 This will be a  busy meeting so if you wish
for

something to be considered at this meeting then email me off list yesterday.
I have

included information at the end of this email so keep reading see you at the
convention.

Until then let's go build the federation. Dream on dream on.

Dear Federationists,

This note is for those who support the work of the National Federation of
the Blind

through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program. Please share this
with

members of your affiliate who may be current contributors to the program.

This year the NFB has implemented a new financial system to streamline our

accounting and reporting processes. This streamlining includes processing
PAC

donations through the new system. PAC donations are processed as ACH
transactions

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

through traditional bank accounts and as credit card charges on MasterCard,
Visa,

Discover, and American Express. During the data transition, we found there
are over

one hundred credit card donors that we need to contact for updated card
information.

Members of our accounting team will be contacting those PAC donors
contributing by

credit card to update this information. This message is to alert
contributors that they will

receive a call from our accounting team between now and September 19 if the

information needs to be updated. They may send an email to schedule a time
to speak

via telephone.

We appreciate your continued support of the National Federation of the
Blind.

Warmest regards,

Mark A. Riccobono, President

Richard,

I am passing along a word of thanks for helping us increase awareness of the
local NFB

Newsline numbers.  As you may know, Elizabeth Sammons we negotiated
additional

local numbers with the national office this year as a way to help offset the
increase in

costs we have been experiencing as we renew each year.  Scott White and the
folks at

NFB national were great to help us develop a workable strategy which enabled
us to

sign on for a two year renewal rather than just one additional year.

Thanks you,

Melinda "Mindy" Duncan

Deputy Director, Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities

614.438.1256 office

614-506-3826 cell

Dear Division and Chapter Presidents,

Our state convention is quickly approaching. I hope you and lots of your
members will

be attending. Exhibit Hall will be open on Saturday, Oct. 28th from noon to
5pm.

Chapters and divisions that would like to reserve a table to conduct
fundraisers should

let me know no later than October 6th. I will need two things from you.

1.            Who the point person will be for sales at the convention along
with

Their contact information.

2.            A description of what you would like to sell.

There are no fees for chapters and divisions to have a table. Space is very
limited so

this opportunity is on a first come first serve basis. I look forward to
hearing from you

and really look forward to shopping at your table.

Warmly,

Rachel R. Kuntz

Minutes of the Meeting

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

 April 22, 2017

Board of Directors

                1. We met in the fellowship room of North Community Lutheran
Church, 114

Morse Road, Columbus, OH 43214.

                2. President Richard Payne called the meeting to order at
10:04 a.m.

                3. Board members Deanna Lewis and William Turner were
absent. Three

fines were assessed for board members not being clad with Federation
insignia.

                4. Some guests were present. They were given an opportunity
to introduce

themselves and state whether or not they were clad with Federation insignia.
Guests

were fined if not properly clad.

                5. Barbara Pierce moved the approval of the January minutes
as circulated.

Cheryl Fields seconded the motion. It passed.

                6. Sherry Ruth gave the financial report. Barbara moved its
acceptance as

read. Dr. Carolyn Peters seconded the motion. It passed. Sherry R. did
answer some

questions.

                7. Annette Lutz, chairperson of the fundraising committee,
gave a detailed

report. Even though the committee has held several teleconference calls,
they are

struggling to come up with solid fundraising ideas. People do not want to
sell things or

take on large projects that have the potential of falling through for a
myriad of reasons.

Joe Ruffalo, NFB-NJ president, talked with us on a call during the meeting.
He shared

several ideas that his state has successfully used. You can see the
fundraising

committee report for details. All fundraising projects take a lot of people
putting in a lot

of effort. The Wagner's candy sale fell through due to a lack of response
from the

company.

                8. Annette gave a brief report on the national merchants
division. There will

be a Fly-In. This is similar to the Washington Seminar, just dealing with
Randolph

Shepard issues. The Fly-In will be May 23. A senator from Indiana wants to

commercialize the highway facilities, which would negatively affect the
blind vendors

across the country. Governor's counsels from several states are in favor of
this bill

because they think it will generate more income for the states. Ohio has
thirty-five blind

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

people working highway facilities. We may be asked to write letters to our
congress

people. Annette will keep us informed.

                9. BELL Academy 2017 will be held as a residential program
at OSSB. The

dates are June 25 through June 30. Heather Leiterman is the coordinator this
year.

Donations and volunteers are needed for the program. Contact either Heather
or Sheri

Albers if you are able to help.

                10. Four of the BELL students placed in the first Ohio
Braille Challenge.

Congratulations are extended to these students.

                11. Sarah Kelly spoke to us. She works for Opportunities for
Ohioans with

Disabilities (OOD) as program services manager for Bureau of Services for
the Visually

Impaired (BSVI). She explained that her goal is to take the agency to a
higher quality of

services provided to the consumer. Sarah has a license in orientation and
mobility. She

has a son who is blind along with having other disabilities. There are
Braille embossers

in the BSVI field offices. The Cleveland Sight Center has formatted the
forms that the

agency uses. Everything that the agency does for the consumer is related to

employment. OOD is partnering with Cleveland Sight Center to provide Braille

instruction for adults. This will include some financial assistance from
OOD. Sarah does

not know exactly what this partnership will look like. Unless a consumer
lives in

Cleveland or Cincinnati, transportation will be a large stumbling block. OOD
wants to

create direct service providers where we do not have community-provided
services. As

always, all things are contingent upon the budget. Counselors need to find
out just

where consumers are in their life walks. The counselor needs to partner with
the

consumer. Sarah would like to see a portion of the intake process to be a
Braille

assessment. She says that OOD may not be able to get a consumer fully
literate but

should get the consumer started and connected to other resources. There is
not a rule

about how much time can be spent, but the time will come to an end at some
point, and

hopefully at that point the consumer is well enough connected that he or she
can

continue the learning process independently. Sarah did not have an answer
regarding

proficiency or the amount of money that can be spent on a case.

                12. Lunch was pizza from Papa Johns and beverages provided
by Capital

chapter. We were encouraged to contribute $5 toward covering the cost of the
lunch.

                13. Sheri A. gave the report from the legislative committee.
This committee

holds a conference call on Monday evenings. We are preparing to hold a
Columbus

seminar with the legislature. This will be Tuesday, May 9. Four issues will
be presented.

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

When the fact sheets are completed, they will be circulated on OhioTalk. Our
issues are

as follows: 1. Parents rights; 2. Updating the service animal rights bill;
3. State

Rehabilitation council; and 4. Transportation funding.

                13. 1. Barbara reported briefly on the Parents' Rights bill.
Its purpose is to

protect the rights of blind parents. We need to educate people about this
and look for a

sponsor in both the House and Senate. This would prevent social workers and
lawyers

from taking children away from parents or refusing visitation on the basis
of blindness.

The ruling would have to be based on ability to parent, not the ability to
see. The burden

of proof would not be on the blind parent. Requiring support services would
not impact

parenting or visitation rights. The model bill came from Maryland. Eight
states have

already passed this type of legislation.

                13. 2. Marianne Denning spoke to us regarding the service
animal bill. The

language of the Ohio version is out of date. We do not want the bill to
state specific

disabilities. The disciplinary action for offenders would be raised to a
class II

misdemeanor. A handler can be asked if the dog has been specifically trained
and what

the dog has been trained to do. The proposed bill would bring the code more
in line with

the ADA with discipline action behind it. If handlers are asked to leave a
facility, they

must be permitted to complete their business and be provided the necessary
assistance

to do so. Emotional support animals are not covered under this legislation,
but dogs in

training are covered.

                13. 3. Ohio is the only state that does not have a State
Rehabilitation Council.

Ohio also does not have a working commission at this time. Representative
Tim

Schaeffer was presented with the NFB's concept of a council. The NFB model
has

members with the OOD director having a leading role but not a vote. We would
like to

have a sixteenth member added with this member being from the National
Federation of

the Blind of Ohio. Two senators are willing to sponsor the OOD version of
this bill. Our

version of the bill will be presented on May 9. The Consumer Advisory
Council will be

eliminated by the proposed bill. This action would save the state money. The
CAC could

have up to forty-four members. There are guidelines for appointing members
to the

seats of the new Council. The governor would appoint people following the
guidelines.

We would like to see the NFB-OH able to appoint the person to hold the
sixteenth seat

from its membership.

                13. 4. The state can no longer tax Medicaid (MCO). As a
result a lot of money

will be lost. This will hurt public forms of transportation.

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

                14. Marianne Denning did an AIRA demonstration. This is a
combination of

Google Glass, cell phone, and live assistants to describe what you are
looking at.

Contact Marianne for details.

                15. Our state convention will be held at the
Columbus-Worthington

DoubleTree, 175 Hutcheson Avenue, Worthington. The dates are October 27, 28,
and

29. The room rate is $89 plus tax per night. Rooms can be reserved now. The
block will

be released October 6. Registration will be available September 1.

                16. Our next meeting will be held by conference call. The
date is September

18, and the time is 7:00 p.m.

                17. Richard announced the sad news that Dr. Anthony Easeley
of the

Cleveland Sight Center died this morning. The NFB-OH board expresses
condolences.

                18. The deadline for state scholarship applications is July
1. Currently there

are seven applicants. The application is on our website. Barbara expressed
her distress

over the fact that changes to this program have been made without the
consultation of

the board. She spoke specifically to the fact that our scholarship program
no longer

requires that a student be full-time. The national scholarship program does
have a

scholarship for a part-time student but applicants  must be employed
fulltime. We want

blind students to compete on terms of equality with their sighted piers and
to have that

same expectation of themselves.

                19. Announcements from chapters and divisions:

                A. Sherry R. announced that Lorain county will be holding
its first

informational fair on May 13. It will be at her church.

                B. On April 29 the Miami Valley chapter will be
participating in a community

fair held at Dr. Carolyn Peters's church. On May 12 they will have a table
at the Green

county fair. On May 13 they will hold their 20th spaghetti dinner.

                C. The Cleveland chapter will be participating in the
Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame

walk on May 6. On May 20 the chapter will work with the mayor to explore
Public

Square. June 24 there will be a bus tour in Amish country. The bus tour will
have a cost.

                20. Sherry R. moved that Ohio contribute $200 to each of the
four funds and

door prizes for a total expenditure of $1,000. Barbara seconded the motion.
It passed.

The funds are white cane, tenbroek, SUN, and Jernigan.

                21. Funds raised from the Flying Pig activities will be used
for national

Footer Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Footer

Header Options

Exit

Double Click to Edit Header

convention assistance. Sherry R. moved that we have a $5,000 assistance
fund, which

would include the Flying Pig funds. Carolyn seconded the motion. It passed.

                22. Ohio will have a table in the national convention
Exhibit Hall. If you attend

the convention, you should expect to work at the table. We will be selling
tumblers and

M-&-M's. We have 134 tumblers remaining.

                23. The meeting adjourned at 2:36 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Shelbi Hindel

Richard Payne,  President