[Ohio-talk] 2019 NFB of Ohio Committee appointments fundraising and the President's Notebook

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:18:28 UTC 2018

You will find the 2019 NFB of Ohio Committee appointments in the body of
this email and attached. The first name is the chair of each committee.

AWARDS COMMITTEE
Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and feedback
when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.
Heather Leiterman
Ali Benmerzouga
emily Pennington
Jerry Purcell
Annette Luts

Bell Academy
Charge: To organize the bell program and plan efficient ways to promote and
execute this very important academy. The members of this committee will be
screened because of the type of program it is, which is dealing directly
with kids.
Eric Duffy
Debbie Baker
Michael Leiterman
Marianne Denning
Sherri Albers
Barbara Pierce
The chair of this committee can recruit whomever he needs to in order to put
this program on.

CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE
Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions are following the state and
national constitutions, both philosophically and rhetorically.
Colleen Roth
Barbara Pierce

CONVENTION Planning Committee
Charge: To assist and advise the president in the planning and functioning
of our state convention and to provide additional assistance in planning and
executing affiliate activities at national conventions.

Sherri Albers
Annette Luts
Suzanne Hartfield-Turner,
Andra Stover
Cassandra Jones
Sheila Hardy-Wilson
Dorothea Davis
Jessica Stover

EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Charge: To advise the president about policies, legislation, strategies, and
initiatives in which the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio should be
engaged to improve educational opportunities for blind youth throughout the
state.

Debby Baker
Sandy Krems
Ali Benmerzouga

FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE (SUN coordinator, Jernigan Fund
coordinator, PAC coordinator,
Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational fundraising
opportunities and to implement strategies to increase participation threw
out the year.

Suzanne Turner
Sherri Ruth
Colleen Roth

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
Charge: To investigate additional opportunities to increase NFB-O resources
and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

Deanna Lewis
Cassandra Jones
Angela Maddox
Gloria Robinson
Lucas Cassi,

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness in the
state legislature and to continue to support our efforts in Washington
throughout the year.

co-chairs Sheri Albers and Mike Literman
Heather Leiterman
Suzanne Hartfield-Turner,
Eric Duffy
Andra Stover
PattMcPherson
Barbara Pierce
Ali Benmerzouga

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit and retain members and
to reinvigorate the chapters and divisions of the NFB of Ohio.
Co-chairs Suzanne Turner and Carolyn Peters
Annette Luts
Dorothea Davis
Beverly Harris
Gloria Robinson

PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY COMMITTEE
Charge: To promote and publicize the programs and events of the NFB of Ohio
and to acquire as much positive publicity as possible for such activities.
Dave Bertch
Walter Mitchell
Ali Benmerzouga

RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and distribute
clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

Barbara Pierce
Eric Duffy
Robert Spangler
Debbie Baker
Michael Leiterman

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop and
implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program and
increase participation.

emily Pennington
Heather Leiterman
Michael Leiterman
Cassandra Jones

Web site and NEWSLINE committee
Charge: To assist with updating the content on the web page and Newsline
including advertising and promoting. The members who desire to be a part of
this committee must be very good computer users.
Robert Spangler
Dave Bertch
Walter Mitchell
Sherri Albers
Cheryl Fisher

Special project committee
Charge: To assist with corporate donations and to help find ways to fund the
special projects and work of the affiliate. To assist where ever we have the
need.
Eric Duffy
Michael Leiterman
Sheri Albers

transportation committee
Charge: To help the affiliate oversee some of the issues around the state
dealing with transportation.
Annette Luts
Michael Leiterman
Eric Duffy

Vehicle donation committee:
Charge: To get more cars donated from Ohio
Owen McCafferty
Larry Rodriguez

domestic violence committee: Charge To develop relationships with the
domestic violence agencies in Ohio.
Cheryl E. Fields
Ahkeela Cade
Gloria Robinson
Gerron Chapman

Community Service Committee:
 This committee will educate the Ohio Affiliate about the professional and
personal benefits of
community service.

Encourage chapters, divisions and individuals to participate in projects in
their communities.
Encourage members to identify or develop and implement their own service
projects.

Enlighten the public about NFB Philosophy and the skills and knowledge we
have obtained, as we serve in the community.

This committee will also encourage members to connect with the NFB Community
Service Division for inspiration and support.

Cheryl E. Fields
Rachelle Broomfield
Kiana hill
Amy Bonano
Wanda Sloan
William Turner
Gloria Robinson
Lillie Pennington
Janine Pickens

Hi all,
There is still time to order from our NFBO Honey Baked Ham Fundraising page!
Get all your Christmas shopping done in just a few minutes. You can print
out an eGift Card directly from the site, or request a plastic gift card
that Honey Baked Ham will send to you. The cards even come in separate
envelopes for super-easy gifting! Don't delay, support the NFB of Ohio
today!
Deanna

Good Morning NFB of Ohio friends!

I want to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your time with
friends and family.

I am reaching out to you on behalf of National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio.

We'd love your help raising funds to support our NFB of Ohio Fundraiser.
Please check out our fundraising page at:
https://honeybakedfundraising.com/fundraisers/NFB_of_Ohio_Fundraiser

You can purchase gift cards to use online or at any Honey Baked Ham retail
store. These would make excellent gifts for your friends, family, neighbors,
co-workers, and others! You can purchase a plastic gift card or else an
electronic gift card. The possibilities are endless with the selection of
wonderful items that Honey Baked Ham offers!

Please spread the word far and wide!

President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

In and among all of the holiday parties, it is good to remind ourselves how
fortunate we are to have the strong bond of family we have in this
organization. This weekend I was at a robotics tournament with my son and I
was listening to some of the other parents discuss the internal politics of
the charter school and the board of directors. It occurred to me that some
of the problems being batted around were very similar to some of the issues
we deal with in our affiliates, in terms of trying to balance all of the
competing factors within the organization. It did give me some satisfaction
to know that it is not only our organization that deals with these things.
It also gave me a sense of pride that we have a strong bond of friendship
that makes it possible for us to get so much accomplished. In this special
time of year, I am thankful for the great network of leaders we have in our
organization.

There are a number of important items below for you to consider. In addition
to the news below, I want you to know that on December 1, the Board of
Directors of the National Federation of the Blind adopted updates to the
organization's Code of Conduct. Some of the changes were technical but
others make adjustments to the policy. There are two things of significance
that I want to call out:
1.	The addition to the social media guidelines to say that members of
the Federation should take care not to make political endorsements in
personal social media that might be attributed as endorsements by the
Federation. This is not new policy, but it is now stated in the code. The
specific bullet now reads: "Refrain from using
profanity/derogatory/offensive language or making political endorsements
that might reasonably be attributed to the Federation."
2.	The other major change to call to your attention is updates to
section IX, which details how complaints are to be filed. It specifically
notes that other officers in addition to the President can take formal
complaints.
I encourage you to read the code in its entirety, as it is helpful for you
to know it and review it periodically. You can find the updated document on
our website at https://nfb.org/code-conduct. An updated version of the
affiliate code will be coming to you shortly. In addition, we are making
other enhancements to our code of conduct that will be shared with members
in the new year.

Critical Actions This Week:
Washington Seminar Hotel Deadline:
The deadline to book a room at the Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol at our
group rate is Friday, December 28. The rate is $196 per night, plus DC sales
tax (14.95 percent). You can book reservations online using this link to the
hotel website that includes our booking code. You can also make reservations
by calling 877-572-6951 and referencing booking code NB8.

Parent Leadership Program:
The NOPBC is seeking recommendations for their next Parent Leadership
Program (PLP) to be held at the 2019 NFB Washington Seminar. We are in
search of parents with the commitment and leadership potential to found or
strengthen a parents' division in your state.  If you have such a parent in
your state, please send us the name and contact information and we will send
an invitation to become a part of the PLP.  Parents from your state who
participated in PLP at the national convention will also be sent
invitations. We hope that your affiliate or state POBC can assist in getting
the parent to DC. The NOPBC may be able to provide some financial support.
Please note that PLP workshops will begin the morning of Sunday, January 27,
so participants need to arrive in DC on Saturday, January 26, earlier than
most NFB Washington Seminar participants. For more information and to share
names of potential PLP participants, please contact PLP coordinator Carol
Castellano at carol_castellano at verizon.net or via cell at 200-400-1101.

News:
Presidential Release:
This month's release is posted at
https://nfb.org/presidential-releases-en/presidential-release-478-english-de
cember-2018.

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Comments Submitted:
Our comments regarding the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking updates to the
definition of "public charge" and related terms were sent last week. You can
read what we submitted at
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/nfb-response-dhs-docket-no-uscis-20
10-0012-final.pdf. There is also a related post available on our Facebook
page.

Health Care Discrimination Lawsuit:
We joined together with Disability Rights North Carolina to file a lawsuit
against UNC Health Care and Nash UNC Health Care, charging them with
discrimination against blind patients. Details are available in the press
release.

Continued Action on 14(c):
I had an opinion piece published in The Hill last week talking about 14(c),
and then followed it with a letter to Alexander Acosta, Secretary of the US
Department of Labor about their announcement of improving online access to
the applications for 14(c) certificates.

NFB-NEWSLINE now available on the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot:
Now you can access NFB-NEWSLINE by asking "Alexa open National Federation."
Once you have logged in, say "Alexa ask National Federation to give me
instructions" to learn how to use it.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
.	January 28, 2019: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
.	March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
.	March 31, 2019: NFB scholarship application deadline
.	April 15, 2019: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award application deadline
.	June 16-22, 2019: NFB EQ, Baltimore, Maryland
.	July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Thanks for your support!
Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:

2019 NFB of Ohio Committee

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.