[Ohio-talk] my convention review

Edward Louden edlouden6485 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 03:07:52 UTC 2018

I am reluctant to send this, but I believe you all should know.  I worked on
this since I got home.

I wanted to share some of my feelings and thoughts about the 72nd NFB of
Ohio State Convention I just attended.

First I have to get something off my mind.  This is about Suzanne Turner, my
Chapter President.  In general session we all heard that she was hurt by
someone.  I can personally attest to this wonderfully fantastic person who
is Suzanne.  I had the privaledge to meet her and shadow her many years ago
when she worked at SSA in Lakewood Ohio.  She worked with my sister Kay.
She was so kind and understanding and extremely patient with me.  So earlier
this year when I became a braille mentor and learned about the NFB and
observed all the other mentors in the room, I wanted to learn more about
this group.  So I was put in touch with a name I kind of recognized, Suzanne
Turner.  When it finally dawned on me who she was and knowing the kind of
person she was when I met her before.  I definitely got more interested in
what she was representing.  So I know, because I observe quite well as a
blind person, she would not even think of treating somebody badly, not at
all.  So I'm here to say, I'm very proud to belong to the Chapter and the
organization of the NFB she represents.

Now with that done, I'm still quite tired, but here goes.

I was witness to some of the most intelligent and heart felt speeches I have
ever heard in person.  From the National representative Denise at the
banquet, to the one Sheri Albers (nice to have personally meet you finally)
gave during general session on Sunday.  Both of these had me choked up and
almost in tears.

I got to hear many intelligent members of the NFB talk about what they love,
which is all of us in the NFB.  I learned from so many of you that I'm not
sure I'll even be able to digest it all.  From Barbara Pierce (who was my
mentor), nice article you wrote by the way in the Monitor.  To Dr. Peters
and Dr. Smith to a fellow veteran Lee Martin (nice story in the Monitor).
Not to mention Eric's wisdom and knowledge.  To see how everyone interacted
with each other.  How in a pinch you all took care of what ever was needed.
There are many many more, but it appears I'm writing a book, so I'll try to
finish.

As many of you heard from me, (how could you not), this was my first and
only convention ever.  So I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't know
what could upstage it.  I did read many comments put out on this Ohio Talk
network and I'll trust your judgement.  But for me, I was blown away.  The
thing that totally blew me away was the voting machine in the Exhibit Hall,
especially when the man told me that this has been available in my county
for ten years.  No one ever told me about this.  They even told me my wife
couldn't go to the booth with me to read the ballot, I of course wouldn't
let that be, I vote every election.

Finally, it was a honor and a delight to have met and observed so many
leaders in this organization of the NFB of Ohio.  Especially President
Richard Payne.  I must say though Richard, at times I didn't know how to
take you,  but I couldn't ignore your great enthusiasm.  One thing I did
learn,is how much you really care and love this organization.  I still have
much to learn but I'm here to stay as a NFB member with the Cleveland
Chapter.

I thank you all so much!

Ed Louden