[Ohio-talk] Your Vote Counts Accessible Voting Webinar

Jordy Stringer jordystringer83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:46:30 UTC 2018

In preparation for the upcoming webinar on voting I wanted to share a
few thoughts and some interesting facts with everyone.

Voting is one of the most important rights and responsibilities that
U.S. citizens have. Nearly 150 million American citizens are qualified
to vote. Unfortunately, many don’t. They give up on a chance to choose
leaders and representatives who will do things that are important to
them.

No-one can force a person to vote. But many citizens do vote, because
voting allows us to tell the government what we want it to do. If
residents think
they’re paying too many taxes, they can vote for a person who promises
to lower taxes. If people with disabilities want more services, we can
vote for someone who will promise to spend funds to gain more
services.

It’s also important for people to know how to work the voting machines
or to mark the ballots they’ll be using when they vote, so that their
votes will
be counted. Why is that so important? Because every vote counts! An
election might be decided by a single vote and history would be
changed because a person
got…or lost…that one vote!

Here are some important events in U.S. history that were decided by
just a few votes:

Richard Nixon, not John F. Kennedy, would have become President of the
U.S. in 1960 if one person from each voting place had voted
differently. If just
one U.S. Senator had voted differently.
U.S. President Andrew Johnson would have been removed from office in 1867.
Texas might not have become part of the United States in 1845 if one
U.S. Senator had voted differently. The vote in the U.S. Senate was
27-25 to invite
Texas to become a state. If it had been a tie, Texas would not have
been asked to become part of the Union.

You Can Make a Difference! Here’s how…

Play a role in choosing our leaders and changing our laws by voting.
If you’re 18 or older, vote in every federal, state, and local election.
Learn about the candidates and issues before you vote in any election.
Know what’s going on in your community.
Write letters to public officials about issues that are important to you.
Remind everyone 18 and older to vote.
Respect your right to vote! It’s a privilege that many people in the
world don’t have.

--
Jordy D. Stringer
 Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one