[Ohio-talk] enquiring research

barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:10:36 UTC 2018

Dear Andrew,

The NFB of Ohio does have a student division, but I would characterize it as inactive. They meet at convention in November, but I do not think they do much else. the Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users, on the other hand, has monthly meetings by phone. It is sponsoring sate legislation and is otherwise engaged in public life. the president is Deanna Lewis, deannakayy03 at gmail.com <mailto:deannakayy03 at gmail.com>.

As for services, to hear the state agency tell it, we have wonderful services. Blind people would tell you a different story. We do have a Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, which is under the umbrella of Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD). You can tell by the name OOD that rehabilitation is a dirty word in those circles these days. We are hoping for a change of heart after the coming election, which should bring a change in top leadership. But it is challenging to be declared eligible for services and then to get enough instruction after that.

Ask if you need more information.

Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com