[Ohio-Talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/22/2019

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 15:03:39 UTC 2019

From: President, National Federation of the Blind
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:56 AM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/22/2019

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

What an incredible convention of the National Federation of the Blind: big, bold, beautiful, and boisterous. It was also warm, welcoming, and incredibly productive. Thank you to each of you for your role in making this a successful family reunion that almost set the record for biggest convention ever. We will see if Houston, which has not hosted us since 1971, can get it done in 2020.

I have been busy talking to many of you and collecting information since our convention ended. If you have ideas or feedback related to the convention, please share them with me. Furthermore, if there were things that I should know about related to the convention, I am prepared to receive that information. Some thought I was not in the office last week, but I was in fact here first thing on Monday morning.

There are several things to share this week. Here are a few bullet points:

*	Convention content will be posted soon to the website. You can already find the presidential report <https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/presidential-reports/presidential-report-2019>  and banquet speech <https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/banquet-speeches/choice-exploration-and-resistance-road-freedom>  there—thanks to those who have already shared this content in social media. As you know, our resolutions <https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2019-resolutions>  are also posted.
*	Read below for a new effort to help teach prospective members about the Federation.
*	This week is the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is a great time to remind Congress of our priorities.
*	If your affiliate made pledges during the honor roll call at the convention, please fulfill those as soon as possible.

I hope everyone enjoys the balance of the summer.

News:

Open-House Gatherings:
Many people do not know the National Federation of the Blind, and they are reluctant to attend a local chapter meeting where they may have their questions answered. We will be hosting teleconferences for individuals that are curious about the National Federation of the Blind. The teleconference will present them with an opportunity to receive information from and ask questions of Federationists. We will be able to dispel the myths and misconceptions about the NFB and highlight the benefits of membership. These calls are specifically intended for individuals who are curious about our organization and would benefit from learning about us in an educational environment. Chapters and affiliates should share this invitation on their social media and disseminate it with anyone who may be interested in joining.

The calls will take place on the third Sunday of each even numbered month and the third Wednesday of each odd numbered month. Our first two calls will be Sunday, August 18, at 4:00 p.m. eastern and Wednesday, September 18, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. We would like to keep the list of participants small enough so that it will be impactful. Therefore, in order to participate, individuals will need to RSVP by emailing membership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org>  or calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509, and let us know which call date works best for them. Individuals selected to participate will receive the call-in information.

Urgent Request for Support from the NFB of the UK:
Thank you to those of you who have reached out about the request for support from the NFB of the UK. We are dealing with this policy request at the national level. You can ignore the request or let them know to work with me at the national level.

ADA Anniversary this Friday:
This Friday, July 26, is the twenty-ninth anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. There are a number of ways to celebrate or educate your community on the ADA <https://www.adaanniversary.org/> . Along with celebration, we must also know there is still work to be done. We continue to repeal Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and we continue to fight for equal access to the internet and to workplace technology. Share information about the National Federation of the Blind Legal Program <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program>  to new members or members who may not be aware. There is support and resources to prevent and report discrimination, connect with legal resources in your area, and advocate for your legal rights.

National Convention 2020:
It isn’t too early to start planning for next year. For those who missed the big announcement, share the 2020 promo <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/2020-convention/2020-announcement.mp3>  now! The 2020 National Convention will be held June 29-July 5 in Houston, Texas, at the Hilton Americas-Houston hotel, located in the heart of downtown. Mark your calendars today.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
*	March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
*	June 29-July 5, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>