[Ohio-talk] IRS reporting

Barbara Pierce barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 12:13:35 UTC 2019

I thought that I would pass along a piece of good news for all chapters and divisions that have not applied for and received section 501 (c)3 status. That would be most of us in this affiliate. The handful of chapters that hold this not-for-profit status, like the affiliate, must file with the IRS, though mostly they qualify for doing the short form of the 990. But I was under the impression, and I think we told people at the leadership semina0r, that all chapters had to complete a short-form 990 at least and usually by May 15. I have now been assured by both the IRS and our national office that if we don’t have 501 (c)3 status, we do not have to do anything with the IRS. We do need to register with the Secretary of State every 5 years and fill out a very short form with the Charitable Solicitations Section of the Attorney General’s office every year, but no IRS. Presidents take note.

Barbara
Barbara Pierce, President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.