[Ohio-Talk] ag

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 17:26:09 UTC 2019

The 73rd National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
Annual Convention: Obstacles are Opportunities
The NFB is an instrument of change
The NFB was founded on the guiding principles that blind people have an
inalienable right to independence, that blind people have equal capacity,
and that only blind people themselves can legitimately speak for the blind
community. These principles have continuously permeated the membership and
structure of our ever-growing organization.
November 1 through November 3, 2019
DoubleTree Hotel Columbus/Worthington
175 Hutchinson Avenue, Columbus, OH 43235
(614) 885-3334
Richard Payne, President
Host: Capital Chapter
Annette Lutz, President
About the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a 501(c3), not for profit
organization and a founding affiliate of the National Federation of the
Blind
The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest nationwide
organization of blind Americans. We are the only organization that believes
in the full capacity of blind people and has the power to transform our
dreams into reality. We believe in blind people because we are blind
people-from our democratically elected leaders to our diverse nationwide
membership.
blindness is not what holds you back.
NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.
What We Do
Through our network of blind members, we coordinate many programs, services,
and resources to defend the rights of blind Americans, provide information
and support to blind children and adults, and build a community that creates
a future full of opportunities.
Mastering the DoubleTree by Barbara Pierce
To check into the hotel, you will enter from the north side of the building.
There are two entrances about thirty feet apart. The check-in desk is about
fifteen feet to the south of these doors. As you step into the hotel, angle
toward the other door as you walk forward to the desk, and mind the three
pillars that run from east to west halfway across the space between the
doors and the desk.
After you finish checking in, you probably want to find your room and drop
your suitcase. Turn left (east) at the desk and start along a hall that
leads to the sleeping rooms. Just after the check-in desk is a right turn to
the hall that leads to our meeting rooms, but ignore this for the moment.
Keep traveling east past the work-out room and the pool on your right. You
will then pass the outdoor courtyard on your right. There are large windows,
so, if it is sunny, you may feel a rise in the temperature. On the left
(north) side of this hall is an exit, which leads to a dog relief area.
There is a grassy area before the walk to the parking lot. A trash barrel
will be located outside this door for your convenience. After the courtyard
are the elevators, two on the right (south) side of the hall and one on the
left (north). If you hit carpet, you have gone about thirty feet too far.
There are six floors of sleeping rooms, including the ground floor. The
rooms all have Braille and raised print signs.
Returning to the front door and facing south, you can turn to the right
(west) almost immediately. Walk west until you dead end into a wall. This
hall leads you to the restrooms as well as the Franklin and Fairfield Rooms,
which is where hospitality will be held. Once you hit carpet, turn right
(north); the restrooms are to your left (west). To get to the hospitality
rooms, turn left (south) and begin looking for an opening on the right into
an east/west hall. The entrance to the Franklin Room is just across a hall
coming into this hall from the right (north). The entrance to the Fairfield
Room is at the north end of this hallway.
Returning to the front door and facing south, if you continue traveling
south past the west end of the check-in desk, you will find the Crosswood
Bar and Grill on your right. This is the restaurant. It is on the west side
of this hallway. The Upper Terrace is on the left (east) side of the hall
and up four steps. This is a large seating area that is often used for
casual seating or meals, but we will not be using the space. So it is safe
to say that you can ignore any short flights of steps that you discover in
the lobby area. Past the Upper Terrace you can make a left turn (east) and
travel past the two large ballrooms on the south (right) side of the hall.
The Alder Room is our general session meeting room. It is the eastern-most
of these two rooms. When you have reached carpet, that is where registration
will be set up.
You can reach the Alder Room another way. Returning to the front door and
facing south, if you continue traveling south past the east end of the
check-in desk, you will find a set of restrooms on your left (east) side of
the hall. To your right is the Upper Terrace, which was mentioned earlier.
Continue walking south along the Upper Terrace, and you will walk directly
into the Alder Room. If you turn left (east) just before the Alder Room, you
will find the Polaris 1 and 2 Rooms on your left. When you reach the carpet,
you have found the registration area. At the east end of this hall on the
left is a door out to the courtyard. The break-out rooms that we will be
using are all in this area. You can turn right (south) in this carpeted
area. You will be walking south toward the end of the hall. On your left in
this hall are the German Village, the Arena District, and the Short North
Rooms. On the right are the Oak 1, 2, and 3 Rooms. At the south end of this
hall is the exit leading to the dog relief area. A trash receptacle will be
located outside this door. Exit the building into a parking lot with parking
along the building. Cross the driveway and another line of parking places to
get to a grassy island suitable for the dogs. Please use this area and clean
up after your dog.
Convention Arrangements
If you have any questions about Convention Arrangements, contact Sheri
Albers, Convention Planning Chair at (513) 886-8697.
Announcements
Free AIRA Site Access at National Federation of the Blind State Convention
The National Federation of the Blind has partnered with AIRA to provide free
AIRA Site Access to NFB members during our 2019 state convention.
AIRA subscribers who are National Federation of the Blind members can use
the service at our convention free without having minutes deducted from
their plans. In addition those interested in AIRA have the unique
opportunity to try out the service free of charge while at our convention.
This convention-wide, free site access is available only at NFB state
conventions, giving NFB members an exclusive opportunity to test-drive AIRA
in a convention setting.
AIRA allows blind people to connect to a trained agent using live video
through a mobile app or wearable glasses to get real-time visual information
or assistance. Learn more about AIRA and special pricing available for NFB
members at go.aira.io/NFB.
How it Works
Before you head to convention or as soon as you get there, download the free
AIRA app from the App Store, and create a guest account if you are not
already an AIRA subscriber. Also make sure your phone's GPS feature is
enabled. When you enter the convention Site Access location, your phone will
receive a notification letting you know that the space you are in is part of
the AIRA Network. When you connect with an agent, he or she will also
confirm that you are now covered by the network, and no minutes will be
deducted from your account.
When you leave or enter convention areas that are covered by the Site Access
network, you will be informed by the AIRA agent.
To learn more about AIRA and the special plan available exclusively to NFB
members, visit go.aira.io/NFB.

Annual Auction
Throughout the convention we will be holding an Action Auction to raise
money for the affiliate. The auction will be great fun with many valuable
items up for bid. Our chapters and divisions have submitted numerous items,
including electronics, gift certificates, food baskets, and more to raise
money for the affiliate. The auction will take place throughout general
sessions on Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, and at the Banquet. Please
call Annette Lutz at (614) 288-4323 and make arrangements to get your items
to her when you arrive.
Registration and Literature
Pre-Registration packet pick-up and convention registration will take place
outside of the Alder Room. Those who have completed their registration prior
to convention will form a line at the Pre-Registration Table for a speedy
process. Visit the Registration Table to register for convention or to
purchase additional tickets to events. Both tables will be open for two
shifts on November 1 from 9:00 AM to 10:45 AM and 12:15 PM to 1:45 PM and
then again on Saturday, November 02 from 8:00 AM to 8:45 AM. NFB literature
will be available throughout the convention in the registration area. Feel
free to take as much as you like and share it with your friends and family.
Door Prizes
Door prizes should be labeled clearly in print and Braille with the donor's
name and the amount of cash or type of gift. They may be brought directly to
Annette Lutz or left at Convention Registration with instructions.
Door prizes will be drawn periodically throughout convention sessions on
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and at the banquet. To be eligible for door
prizes, you must be registered for the convention and present in the room
when your name is called.
Guide Dogs
There are two relief areas for your convenience, one outside the convention
room hall, and one near the sleeping room hall. Please read the hotel
description for details. For assistance with any guide dog issues please
contact Deanna Lewis, President, OAGDU Division at (513) 328-7976.
Exhibit Hall
Whether you are an information seeker or a new-gadget shopper, you will find
everything that you need to help you live the life you want at the 2019
Exhibit Hall. Visit Exhibit Hall in the Cedar - Buckeye Room on Saturday,
November 2, from noon to 4:30 PM to explore the latest technology and to get
answers to the questions that race through your mind about employment,
healthcare, services for the blind, and much more.

		CONVENTION AGENDA
Friday, November 1, 2019
9:00 to 10:45 AM	Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention
Registration
Outside of the Alder Room
11 to Noon	Ohio Board of Directors Meeting
Alder Room
12:00 Noon	Ohio State School for the Blind Marching Band
Alder Room
12:15 to 1:45 PM	Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention
Registration
Outside of the Alder Room
12:15 to 1:15 PM	Meet and Greet with light refreshments
Buckeye I Room
12:30 to 1:45 PM	Rookie Round-up
Dr. Carolyn Peters and Suzanne Turner, NFB-O Membership Committee Co-Chairs
Buckeye II Room
2:00 PM	General Session, Call to Order
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room
2:05 PM	Opening ceremony Invocation
Dr. Carolyn Peters, Miami Valley Chapter President and Member, NFB of Ohio
Board of Directors
2:10 PM	Working Together We Will Protect the Rights of Blind Parents
State Representative Erica Crawley, Sponsor HB188
2:30 PM	Opening Remarks and welcome by the host chapter
Annette Lutz, Capitol Chapter President and Member, NFB of Ohio Board of
Directors
2:35 PM	It Begins with You: The Power of Collective Action from a Student's
Perspective
Kenia Flores, National Association of Blind Students
2:55 PM	National Report
Ever Lee Hairston, National Representative, Member NFB Board of Directors

3:15 PM	Not Just the Right, but the Responsibility to Be in the World:
Seeking Ideas on Outreach and Visibility
Al Elia, Attorney, Member, NFB of Cleveland
3:30 PM	Building Bridges and Creating More Opportunities for Ohioans with
Disabilities to Live the Lives They Want
Kevin L. Miller, Director, and Erik Williamson, Assistant Director,
Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
4:05 PM	AIRA, Visual Information on your Terms
Joy Mistovich and Eric Duffy, AIRA Representatives
4:25 PM	Blindness: From Cradle to Career
Carol Castellano, Founder of Parents of Blind Children of New Jersey and
Member, Board of Directors of the National Organization of Parents of Blind
Children
4:40 PM	If Only Public Education Staff Had a Better Understanding of the
Blind
Camryn Gattuso, Student of the National EQ Program
4:55PM	Convention Arrangements
Sheri Albers, Convention Arrangements Chair and Vice President, NFB of Ohio

5:00 PM	Recess
General Session resumes at 9:00 AM November 2.
5:30 to 6:30 PM	Ohio Association of Blind Merchants Meeting
Annette Lutz, President
Arena District Room
5:30 to 8:30 PM	Hospitality
Fairfield Room
7:00 to 8:00 PM	Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users (OAGDU) Meeting
Deanna Lewis, President
Madison Room
7:00 to 8:00 PM	At-Large Chapter Meeting
Colleen Roth, President
Short North Room
7:00 to 8:00 PM	Ohio Association of Blind Students (OABS) Meeting
Jackson Schwoebel and Suzanne Turner, Co - Facilitators
German Village Room

7:30 to 8:15 PM	Resolutions Committee Meeting. All are welcome to attend.
Resolutions adopted by the convention become the policy of the organization.
Barbara Pierce, Chair
Alder Room
7:45 to 9:15 PM	One Touch Self-Defense Class ($20 per person)
Wilbert Turner and Team
Arena District Room
8:30 PM	Nominating Committee Meeting. This is a closed meeting.
Union Room
9:00 PM	OAPUB Play
Alder Room
Saturday, November 2, 2019
7:00 to 8:45 AM	Ohio Association to Promote the Use of Braille Breakfast
Meeting
Marianne Denning, President
Buckeye I and II Rooms
7:00 to 8:45 AM	Ohio Diabetes Action Network Breakfast Meeting
Susan Day, President
Breakfast in the Crosswoods Bar and Grill and proceed to Arena District Room
to conduct the business meeting
7:00 to 8:45 AM	Scholarship Breakfast
Cassandra Jones, chair
Crosswoods Bar and Grill
8:00 to 8:50 AM	Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention Registration
Outside of the Alder Room
9:00 AM	General Session, Call to order
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room
9:05 AM	Invocation
Robert Pierce, NFB of Lorain County, and United States veteran
9:10 AM	Convention Announcements
Sheri Albers, Convention Arrangements Chair and Vice President, NFB of Ohio

9:15 AM	A Struggling Reality of Battling the Public Sector for Access to
Education for My Child
Ronda Thorpe, Cleveland, Ohio
9:30 AM	Your Rights and How We Can Help You
Alison McKay, CAP Coordinator, Disability Rights Ohio
9:55 AM	Update from the State Library of Ohio
Tracy Grimm, Head of Circulation & Special Services, State Library of Ohio

10:25 AM	Presidential Report
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
11:00 AM	The 2019 Braille Enrichment for Learning and Literacy (BELL)
Academy Report
Eric Duffy, BELL Coordinator and Secretary, NFB of Ohio
11:30 AM	Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD)
Greg Dormer, Deputy Director, and Sarah Kelly, Program Services Manager,
Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired (BSVI)
Noon	Recess
General Session resumes at 9:00 AM November 3
Noon	Boxed Lunch Pick-up (tickets required)
Outside NFB Registration Area
12:15 to 2:00 PM	Parents of Blind Children meeting (includes light
lunch)
Fairfield Room
12:15 to 2:00 PM	Activities for children 13 and under (includes light
lunch)
Franklin Room
Noon to 4:30 PM	Exhibit Hall
Cedar - Buckeye Rooms
12:15 to 1:45 PM	Community Service Meeting
Cheryl Fields, Chair, Community Service Committee, and Member, NFB of Ohio
Board of Directors
Short North Room
12:15 to 1:45 PM	NFB of Ohio Senior Division Meeting
Barbara Pierce, President
Arena District Room
2:00 to 3:30 PM	The Best You: Mental, Emotional, and Physical Health:
Resetting our Mindset
Suzanne Turner, President NFB of Cleveland and Member, NFB of Ohio Board of
Directors
Alder Room
3:00 to 4:30 PM	Technology Workshop All Things Tech--Join a discussion about
all things tech--time at the end for questions and answers
Jim Wise, Ali Benmerzouga, Joanne Williams, and Shelley Duffy
Short North Room
3:00 to 4:30 PM	One Touch Self-Defense Class ($20 per person)
Wilbert Turner and team
German Village Room
3:00 to 4:30 PM	Leadership meeting. Topics of discussion include leadership,
chapter finances, fundraising, advocacy, and affiliate and national
policies. This meeting is for members of the Board of Directors and elected
chapter and division leaders only.
President Richard Payne, Vice President Sheri Albers, and National Rep Ever
Lee Hairston
Arena District Room
5:30 to 6:30 PM	Pre-Banquet Social Hour, Cash Bar
Upper Terrace
6:30 PM	NFB-O Banquet, (tickets required)
Alder Room
Event Highlights:
*	Master of Ceremonies: Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
*	Keynote Speaker: Ever Lee Hairston, National Rep
*	Awards presentations: Heather Leiterman, Awards Committee Chair
*	Scholarship Awards: Cassandra Jones, Scholarship Committee Chair
We would like to thank the Norwalk Ohio Lions for generously supporting our
Scholarship Program.
*	Not So Silent Auction: Annette Lutz, Capital Chapter President and
Member, NFB of Ohio Board of Directors
*	Money for the Movement: Sherry Ruth, Treasurer, NFB of Ohio
9:00 PM	After Party
Alder Room
Stick around after the banquet to fellowship and party with your NFB of Ohio
family. Enjoy live music and a cash bar.

Sunday, November 3, 2019
7:45 to 8:45 AM	Faith Meeting
Carolyn Peters
Alder Room
9:00 AM	General Session, Call to Order
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room
9:05 AM	Remembering Those Federation Members who are no Longer with Us
Shelley Duffy, Capital Chapter
9:10 AM	What Are the Odds?
Andra Stover, Vice President, Greater Akron Chapter
9:25 AM	Common Attributes of Leadership
Dave Burch, President, Greater Akron Chapter
9:40 AM	Report of the Nominating Committee
9:45 AM	Affiliate Elections
10:15 AM	Financial Report
Sherry Ruth, Treasurer, NFB of Ohio
10:40 AM	Resolutions
11:35 AM	Update from Voice Corps
David Noble, Marketing and Development Director, Voice Corps Reading Service

11:50am	Closing remarks and final words from our National Rep
Noon	Adjournment

		2019 Board of Directors
		Officers
		Terms ending 2020
		President: Richard Payne
		937-396-5573
		rchpay7 at gmail.com
		PO Box 20544, Dayton, OH 45420
		Vice President: Sheri Albers
		513-886-8697
		sheri.albers87 at gmail.com
		3052 Lischer Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45211
		Secretary: Eric Duffy
		614-377-9877
		peduffy63 at gmail.com
		4183 Indianola Avenue, Columbus, OH 43214
		Treasurer: Sherry Ruth
		440-324-4218 (h), 440-281-6959 (c)
		Babyruth2 at windstream.net
		6922 Murray Ridge Road, Elyria, OH 44035
		Board Members At Large
		Terms ending 2019
		Cheryl Fields
		216-566-4317
		cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
		PO Box 202091, Cleveland, OH 44120
		Deanna Lewis
		513-328-7976
		deannakay03 at gmail.com
		2526 Meyerhill Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45211
		Annette Lutz
		614-288-4323
		annettelutz at att.net
		Dr. Carolyn Peters
		937-293-2131
		dr.carolyn.peters at gmail.com
		Dayton, OH
		Barbara Pierce
		440-774-8077
		barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
		198 Kendal Drive, Oberlin, OH 44074
		William H. Turner
		(330) 328-9860
		william.h.turner at ssa.gov
		PO Box 141077, Cleveland, OH 44114
		Term ending 2020
		Suzanne Hartfield-Turner
		216-990-6199
		President.NFB.ClevelandOH at gmail.com
		PO Box 141077, Cleveland, OH 44114
		Sponsors
		Disability Rights Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
		Disability Rights Ohio is a non-profit corporation with a
mission to advocate for the human, civil, and legal rights of people with
disabilities in Ohio.
		Delta Gamma Foundation
		The Delta Gamma Foundation fosters lifetime enrichment for
members, promotes Service for Sight and partners with the fraternity to
ensure the future of our sisterhood. Our dedicated members and friends make
this mission possible through philanthropy, service and generous gifts to
the Foundation which support our three signature programs: Service for
Sight, Grants to the Fraternity for Leadership and Educational Programming
and Grants to Individual Members.
		Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living
		Serving Fairfield and Hocking Counties.
		Founded in 2002, SOCIL is managed by a Board of Directors
and staff comprised of most persons with various disabilities. The
foundation of CIL services is the peer relationship - people with
disabilities assisting other people with disabilities as role models and
mentors. Each center is unique.

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573 or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com