[Ohio-Talk] Nfb Ohio 2019 State Convention agenda.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:29:53 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,    you will find attached to this message and in the body of this email the NFBO 2019 of Ohio state convention agenda. I always say this to keep the list from getting cluttered but for questions please email me off list.

THE 73RD NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF OHIO (NFB-OH
ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION)

“OBSTACLES ARE OPPORTUNITIES”:  THE NFB IS AN INSTRUMENT OF CHANGE.

THE NFB WAS FOUNDED ON THE GUIDING PRINCIPLES THAT BLIND PEOPLE HAVE AN INALIENABLE RIGHT TO INDEPENDENCE, THAT BLIND PEOPLE HAVE EQUAL CAPACITY, AND THAT ONLY BLIND PEOPLE THEMSELVES CAN LEGITIMATELY SPEAK FOR THE BLIND COMMUNITY. THESE PRINCIPLES HAVE CONTINUALLY PERMEATED THE MEMBERSHIP AND STRUCTURE OF OUR EVER-GROWING ORGANIZATION.

NOVEMBER 1ST  THROUGH NOVEMBER 3RD 2019

DOUBLETREE HOTEL COLUMBUS/WORTHINGTON,
175 HUTCHINSON AVENUE, COLUMBUS, OH 43235
(614) 885-3334

Richard Payne, President
Host: Capital Chapter
Annette Lutz, President

About the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a 501c3 non-profit organization and a founding affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind
The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. We are the only organization that believes in the full capacity of blind people and has the power to transform our dreams into reality. We believe in blind people because we are blind people—from our democratically elected leaders to our diverse nationwide membership.

NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

What We Do
Through our network of blind members, we coordinate many programs, services, and resources to defend the rights of blind Americans, provide information and support to blind children and adults, and build a community that creates a future full of opportunities.

Mastering the DoubleTree by Barbara Pierce
To check into the hotel, you will enter from the north side of the building. There are two entrances about thirty feet apart. The check-in desk is about fifteen feet to the south of these doors. As you step into the hotel, angle toward the other door as you walk forward to the desk, and mind the three pillars that run from east to west halfway across the space between the doors and the desk.
After you finish checking in, you probably want to find your room and drop your suitcase. Turn left (east) at the desk and start along a hall that leads to the sleeping rooms. Just after the check-in desk is a right turn to the hall that leads to our meeting rooms, but ignore this for the moment. Keep traveling east past the work-out room and the pool on your right. You will then pass the outdoor courtyard on your right. There are large windows, so, if it is sunny, you may feel a rise in the temperature. On the left (north) side of this hall is an exit, which leads to a dog relief area. There is a grassy area before the walk to the parking lot. A trash barrel will be located outside this door for your convenience. After the courtyard are the elevators, two on the right (south) side of the hall and one on the left (north). If you hit carpet, you have gone about thirty feet too far. There are six floors of sleeping rooms, including the ground floor. The rooms all have Braille and raised print signs.
Returning to the front door and facing south, you can turn to the right (west) almost immediately. Walk west until you dead end into a wall. This hall leads you to the restrooms as well as the Franklin and Fairfield Rooms, which is where hospitality will be held. Once you hit carpet, turn right (north); the restrooms are to your left (west). To get to the hospitality rooms, turn left (south) and begin looking for an opening on the right into an east/west hall. The entrance to the Franklin Room is just across a hall coming into this hall from the right (north). The entrance to the Fairfield Room is at the north end of this hallway.
Returning to the front door and facing south, if you continue traveling south past the west end of the check-in desk, you will find the Crosswood Bar and Grill on your right. This is the restaurant. It is on the west side of this hallway. The Upper Terrace is on the left (east) side of the hall and up four steps. This is a large seating area that is often used for casual seating or meals, but we will not be using the space. So, it is safe to say that you can ignore any short flights of steps that you discover in the lobby area. Past the Upper Terrace you can make a left turn (east) and travel past the two large ballrooms on the south (right) side of the hall. The Alder Room is our general session meeting room. It is the eastern-most of these two rooms. When you have reached carpet, that is where registration will be set up.
You can reach the Alder Room another way. Returning to the front door and facing south, if you continue traveling south past the east end of the check-in desk, you will find a set of restrooms on your left (east) side of the hall. To your right is the Upper Terrace, which was mentioned earlier. Continue walking south along the Upper Terrace, and you will walk directly into the Alder Room. If you turn left (east) just before the Alder Room, you will find the Polaris 1 and 2 Rooms on your left. When you reach the carpet, you have found the registration area. At the east end of this hall on the left is a door out to the courtyard. The break-out rooms that we will be using are all in this area. You can turn right (south) in this carpeted area. You will be walking south toward the end of the hall. On your left in this hall are the German Village, the Arena District, and the Short North Rooms. On the right are the Oak 1, 2, and 3 Rooms. At the south end of this hall is the exit leading to the dog relief area. A trash receptacle will be located outside this door. Exit the building into a parking lot with parking along the building. Cross the driveway and another line of parking places to get to a grassy island suitable for the dogs. Please use this area and clean up after your dog.

Convention Arrangements
If you have any questions about Convention Arrangements, contact Sheri Albers, Convention Planning Chair at (513) 886-8697.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Free Aira Site Access at National Federation of the Blind State Convention
The National Federation of the Blind has partnered with Aira to provide free
Aira Site Access to NFB members during our 2019 state convention. Aira
subscribers who are National Federation of the Blind members can use the
service at our convention for free without having minutes deducted from
their plans. In addition, those interested in Aira have the unique
opportunity to try out the service for free while at our convention. This
convention-wide, free site access is available only at NFB state
conventions, giving NFB members an exclusive opportunity to test-drive Aira
in a convention setting.
Aira allows blind people to connect to a trained agent using live video through a mobile app or wearable glasses to get real-time visual information
or assistance. Learn more about Aira and special pricing available for NFB
members at go.aira.io/NFB.
How it Works
Before you head to convention or as soon as you get there, download the free
Aira app from the App Store, and create a guest account if you are not
already an Aira subscriber. Also make sure your phone's GPS feature is
enabled. When you enter the convention Site Access location, your phone will
receive a notification letting you know that the space you are in is part of
the Aira Network. When you connect with an agent, he or she will also
confirm that you are now covered by the network, and no minutes will be
deducted from your account.
When you leave or enter convention areas that are covered by the Site Access
network, you will be informed by the Aira agent.
To learn more about Aira and the special plan available exclusively to NFB
members, visit go.aira.io/NFB.

Annual Auction,
Throughout the convention we will be holding an Action Auction to raise money for the affiliate. The auction will be great fun with many valuable items up for bid. Our chapters and divisions have submitted numerous items including electronics, gift certificates, food baskets, and more to raise money for the affiliate. The auction will take place throughout General Sessions on Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and at the Banquet. Please call Annette Lutz at, (614) 288-4323, and make arrangements to get your items to her when you arrive.

Registration and Literature
Pre-Registration packet pick-up and convention registration will take place outside of the Alder room. Those who have completed their registration prior to convention will form a line at the Pre-Registration Table for a speedy process. Visit the Registration Table to register for convention or to purchase additional tickets to events. Both tables will be open for two shifts on November 1 from 9:00 AM to 10:45 AM and 12:15 PM to 1:45 PM and then again on Saturday, November 02 from 8:00 AM to 8:45 AM.  NFB literature will be available throughout the convention in the registration area. Feel free to take as much as you like; and share it with your friends and family.

Door Prizes
Door prizes should be labeled clearly in print and Braille with the donor's name and the amount of cash or type of gift.  They may be brought   directly to Annette Lutz or left at Convention Registration with instructions.
Door prizes will be drawn periodically throughout convention sessions on
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and at the banquet. To be eligible for door
prizes, you must be registered for the convention and present in the room
when your name is called.

Guide Dogs
There are two relief areas for your convenience. Please read the hotel description for details, one outside the convention room hall, and one near the sleeping room hall. For assistance, with any guide dog issues please contact Deanna Lewis, President, OAGDU Division at (513) 328-7976.

Exhibit Hall
Whether you are an information seeker or a new gadget shopper, you will find everything that you need to help you live the life you want at the 2019 Exhibit Hall. Visit Exhibit Hall in the Cedar - Buckeye room on Saturday, November 02 from noon to 4:30 PM to explore the latest technology and to get answers to the questions that race through your mind about employment, healthcare, services for the blind, and so much more.

CONVENTION AGENDA

Friday, November 01, 2019

9:00 AM to 10:45 AM -- Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention Registration
Outside of the Alder Room

11 A.M. to Noon: -- Ohio Board of Directors Meeting.
Alder Room

12:00PM -- Ohio State School for the Blind marching band.
Alder Room

12:15 PM to 1:45 PM -- Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention Registration
Outside of the Alder Room

12:15 PM to 1:15 PM – Meet and Greet with light refreshments.
Buckeye I Room

12:30pm to 1:45 PM -- Rookie Round up
Dr. Carolyn Peters and Suzanne Turner, NFBOH Membership Committee Co -Chairs
Buckeye II Room

GENERAL SESSION

2:00 PM--Call to Order,
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room

Opening ceremony.
2:05 PM -- Invocation
Dr. Carolyn Peters, Miami valley Chapter President, Member NFB of Ohio Board of Directors

2:10 PM Working together we will protect the rights of blind parents State Representative Erica Crawley Sponsor HB188

2:30 PM —Opening Remarks and welcome by the host chapter
Annette Lutz, Capitol chapter president, Member NFB of Ohio Board of Directors

2:35 pm -- It Begins With You: the Power of Collective Action From a Student’s Perspective.
Kenia Flores, National Association of Blind Students

2:55 pm -- National Report
Ever Lee Hairston, National Rep, Member NFB Board of Directors
3:15 PM -- Not just the right, but the responsibility to be in the world. Seeking ideas on outreach and visibility
Al Elia, Attorney, Member   Cleveland Chapter NFB of Ohio

3:30 PM Building Bridges and Creating More Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities to Live the Lives they Want
Kevin L. Miller, Director, and Erik Williamson, Assistant Director, Opportunities for Ohioans With Disabilities

4:05  PM  Aira, Visual Information On Your Terms
Joy Mistovich and Eric Duffy, Aira Representatives

4:25   PM Blindness: From Cradle to Career
Carol Castellano, Founder of Parents of Blind Children of New Jersey, Member, Board of Directors of the National Organization Parents of Blind Children

4:40 PM -- If Only Public Education Staff Had A Better Understanding of The Blind.
Camryn Gattuso, Student of the National EQ Program

4:55PM -- Convention Arrangements,
Sheri Albers, convention arrangements chair, Vice President NFB of Ohio

5:00 PM -- Adjourn
General Session resumes at 9:00 AM tomorrow.

5:30 PM to 6:30 PM -- Ohio Association of Blind Merchants Meeting.
Annette Lutz, President
Arena District Room

5:30 PM to 8:30 PM -- Hospitality,
Fairfield Room

 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM -- Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users (OAGDU) Meeting.
Deanna Lewis, President
Madison Room

7:00PM to 8:00 PM -- At-Large Chapter Meeting,
Colleen Roth, President
Short North Room

7:00 PM to 8:00 PM -- Ohio Association of Blind Students (OABS) Meeting.
Jackson Schwoebel and Suzanne Turner, Co - Facilitators
German Village Room

7:30 PM to 8:15 PM -- Resolutions Committee Meeting. All are welcome to attend. Resolutions adopted by the convention become the policy of the organization.
	Barbara Pierce, Chair
Alder Room

7:45 PM to 9:15 PM -- One Touch Self-Defense Class ($20.00 per person)
Wilbert Turner and Team
Arena District Room

8:30 PM -- Nominating Committee Meeting. This is a closed meeting.
Union Room

9:00 -- PM OAPUB Play
Alder Room

Saturday, November 02, 2019

7:00 AM to 8:45 AM -- Ohio Association to Promote the Use of Braille (OAPUB) Breakfast Meeting.
Marianne Denning, President
Buckeye I and II Room

7:00 AM to 8:45 AM Ohio Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Breakfast Meeting. Members will have breakfast in the Cross woods Bar and Grill and proceed to Arena District Room to conduct the business meeting.
Susan Day President.

7:00 AM to 8:45 AM -- Scholarship Breakfast
Cassandra Jones, chair
Cross woods Bar and Grill.

8:00 AM to 8:50 AM -- Pre-Registration Packet Pick-up and Convention Registration
Outside of the Alder Room

GENERAL SESSION

9:00 AM -- Call to Order
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room

9:05 AM -- Invocation
Robert Pierce, NFB of Lorain County, and United States Veteran

9:10 AM -- Convention Announcements
Sheri Albers, Convention Planning Chair and Vice President NFB of Ohio

9:15 AM – A struggling reality of Battling the public sector for access to education for my child.
Ronda Thorpe

9:30 AM -- Your rights and how we can help you. (The cap Program).
Alison McKay, CAP coordinator Disability Rights Ohio (.

9:55 AM -- Update from the State library of Ohio.
Tracy Grimm, Head of Circulation & Special Services State Library of Ohio

10:25 AM -- Presidential Report,
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio

11:00 AM -- The 2019 Braille Enrichment, Learning and Literacy (BELL) Academy Report
Eric Duffy, BELL Coordinator, Secretary, NFB of Ohio

11:30 AM – Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD)
Greg Dormer, Deputy Director and Sarah Kelly, Program Services, Manager for the Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired (BSVI)

Noon: -- Adjourn
General Session resumes at 9:00 AM tomorrow.

Noon: Boxed Lunch Pick-up (tickets required) – Outside NFB Registration Area

12:15 PM to 2:00 PM –Parents of Blind Children meeting. (includes light lunch)
Fairfield Room

12:15PM to 2:00 PM -- Activities for children 13 and under. (includes light lunch)
Franklin Room

Noon to 4:30 PM -- Exhibit Hall
Cedar—Buckeye Rooms

12:15 PM to 1:45 PM -- Community Service Meeting
Cheryl Fields, chair, Member NFB of Ohio Board of Directors
Short North Room

12:15 PM to 1:45 PM -- National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Senior Division Meeting
Barbara Pierce, President
Arena District Room

2:00 PM to 3:30 PM -- “The Best You “Mental, Emotional and Physical Health. Essentially, Resetting our Mindset
Suzanne Turner, President Cleveland Chapter, and Member NFB of Ohio Board of Directors
Alder Room

3:00 PM to 4:30 Technology Workshop All Things Tech - Join a discussion about all thing’s tech!  There will be time at the end for a question and answer session.
Jim Wise,   Ali Benmerzouga, Joanne, Williams, and Shelley Duffy
Short North Room

3:00 PM to 4:30 PM -- One Touch Self-Defense Class ($20.00 per person)
Wilbert Turner and team
German Village Room

3:00 PM to 4:30 PM – Leadership meeting. Topics of discussion include but are not limited to: leadership, chapter finances, fundraising, advocacy, and affiliate and national policies. This meeting is only for Members of the Board of Directors and elected leaders of Chapters, and Divisions.
	President Richard Payne   and Vice President Sheri Albers, joined by Ever Lee Hairston, National Rep.
Arena District Room

5:30 PM to 6:30 PM -- Pre-Banquet Social Hour, Cash Bar
Upper Terrace

6:30 PM -- NFBOH Banquet, (tickets required)
Alder Room

Event Highlights:
	Master of Ceremonies: Richard Payne, president, NFB of Ohio
	Keynote Speaker: Ever Lee Hairston, National Rep
	Awards presentations: Heather Leiterman, Awards Committee Chair
	Scholarship Awards:  Cassandra Jones, Committee Chair
	Not So Silent Auction: Annette Lutz Capital chapter president, Member NFB of Ohio Board of Directors
	Money for the Movement: Sherry Ruth, Treasurer, NFB of Ohio

we would like to thank the Norwalk Ohio Lions for generously supporting our Scholarship Program.

9:00 PM -- After Party. Stick around after the banquet to fellowship and party with your NFB of Ohio family. Enjoy live music and a cash bar.
Alder Room

Sunday, November 03, 2019

7:45 AM to 8:45 AM -- Faith meeting.
Dr. Carolyn Peters
Alder Room

GENERAL SESSION

9:00 AM -- Call to Order,
Richard Payne, President, NFB of Ohio
Alder Room

9:05 AM -- remembering those federation members who are no longer with us.
Shelli Duffy, Capital Chapter

9:10AM What Are the Odds?
Andra Stover, Vice president Greater Akron Chapter

9:25 AM -- Common attributes of leadership
Dave Burch, President, Greater Akron Chapter

9:40 AM Report of the Nominating Committee

9:45 AM -- Affiliate Elections

10:15 AM Financial Report
Sherry Ruth, Treasurer, NFB of Ohio

10:40 AM -- Resolutions.

11:35 AM Update from Voice Corps,
David Noble
Marketing and Development Director Voice Corps reading service. Voice corps is making a strong push to elicit feedback from the blind community and others who have a disability that prevents reading print.  We feel that any successful and effective enhancements to our service are dependent on the will and wishes of those who will use it.

11:50am -- Closing remarks and final words from our National Rep

Noon:  Adjournment
2019Board of Directors

Officers
Terms ending 2020

President: Richard Payne
937-396-5573
rchpay7 at gmail.com
PO Box 20544, Dayton, OH 45420

Vice President: Sheri Albers
513-886-8697
sheri.albers87 at gmail.com
3052 Lischer Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45211

Secretary: Eric Duffy
614-377-9877
peduffy63 at gmail.com
 4183 Indianola Avenue, Columbus, OH 43214

Treasurer: Sherry Ruth
440-324-4218 (h), 440-281-6959 (c)
Babyruth2 at windstream.net
6922 Murray Ridge Road, Elyria, OH 44035

Board Members At Large Terms ending 2019

Cheryl Fields
216-566-4317
cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
PO Box 202091, Cleveland, OH 44120

Deanna Lewis
513-328-7976
deannakay03 at gmail.com
2526 Meyerhill Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45211

Annette Lutz
614-288-4323
annettelutz at att.net

Dr. Carolyn Peters
937-293-2131
dr.carolyn.peters at gmail.com
Dayton, OH

Barbara Pierce
440-774-8077
barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
198 Kendal Drive, Oberlin, OH 44074

Board Member At Large Term ending 2020

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner
216-990-6199
President.NFB.ClevelandOH at gmail.com
PO Box 141077, Cleveland, OH 44114

William H. Turner
(330) 328-9860
william.h.turner at ssa.gov
PO Box 141077, Cleveland, OH 44114

Sponsors
Disability Rights Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
Disability Rights Ohio is a non-profit corporation with a mission to advocate for the human, civil, and legal rights of people with disabilities in Ohio.

Delta Gamma Foundation
The Delta Gamma Foundation fosters lifetime enrichment for members, promotes Service for Sight and partners with the Fraternity to ensure the future of our sisterhood. Our dedicated members and friends make this mission possible through philanthropy, service and generous gifts to the Foundation which support our three signature programs: Service for Sight, Grants to the Fraternity for Leadership and Educational Programming and Grants to Individual Members.

Southeastern Ohio Center for Independent Living
Serving Fairfield and Hocking Counties.

Founded in 2002, SOCIL is managed by a Board of Directors and staff comprised of most persons with various disabilities. The foundation of CIL services is the peer relationship - people with disabilities assisting other people with disabilities as role models and mentors. Each center is unique.

Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

Nfb Ohio 2019 State Convention  final  RP

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.