[Ohio-Talk] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Board of Directors Meeting agenda

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:03:57 UTC 2019

NFBO, you will find the agenda for our board meeting and the April Board of
Directors Meeting Minutes which was voted on at the September meeting. This
will most likely be the last email you will receive from me before the state
convention, but we will see. I look to see you at the convention.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Board of Directors Meeting agenda
November 01, 2019

NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

blindness is not what holds you back

1.	Call to order and roll call of the board members.
2.	Introduction of our National Representative
3.	Others in the room
4.	Approval of September minutes
5.	Roll Call of Chapters
6.	Discussion about the expenses for the BELL Program. The information
has been provided to the Board before convention.
7.	Who is serving on the Nominating committee and the chair?
8.	Convention announcements and special communication
9.	Washington Seminar - deadline December 1
10.	Door prizes and Auction details
11.	Other business
12.	Adjournment

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
April 7, 2019

President Richard Payne called the meeting to order at 10:03 AM in the Cedar
Room of the DoubleTree Columbus/Worthington Hotel.

1. All members of the board were present except for Sheri Albers, Cheryl
Fields, Carolyn Peters, and William H. Turner. President Payne called for
introductions, and a large audience introduced itself. Several pin fines
were collected.

2. Eric Duffy moved that the January 2019 minutes be approved as Emailed.
Deanna Lewis seconded the motion, and it carried.

3. Eric Duffy moved the approval of the Treasurer's report as presented by
the Treasurer. Barbara Pierce seconded the motion. After a few brief
questions, the motion carried. The organization currently has total assets
of $158,641.53.

4. Marianne Denning then reported on the work we are doing under the Braille
literacy grant given to us by Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities.
She said that, although the program got off to a late beginning due to a
delay in signing the contract by Opportunities for Ohioans with
Disabilities, we are in good shape. Two introductory classes have been held,
and mentors and students in those groups are working together.

5. Eric Duffy then reported on the BELL Academy. Eric participated in
training for coordinators and teachers held in Baltimore. Beginning Friday
afternoon and ending Saturday afternoon, Cayte Mendez conducted training for
most of our BELL volunteers. We will also have five volunteers from the Ohio
State University teacher preparation program. We have at least three new
students at this point. Of course we also have some returning students.

6. After some discussion Barbara Pierce moved to lift the charter of the
Butler County chapter. Eric Duffy seconded the motion. President Payne made
it clear that a good faith effort has been made to keep the chapter
together. There have been no chapter meetings in several months, and the
leadership of the chapter has not responded to repeated efforts from
President Payne to contact them.

7. We discussed lifting the charter of the student division. This division
has also been inactive. President Payne made it clear that in accordance
with national policy we won't keep inactive chapters or divisions on the
books. Suzanne Turner said that she and the membership committee will make a
special effort to revitalize the division between now and the state
convention. By consensus the board agreed to this proposal and agreed to
revisit the status of this division at the convention board meeting.

8. As part of the leadership seminar mostly to be held later that day,
Sherry Ruth then talked about best financial practices for chapters and
divisions. She reminded chapters and divisions that organizations must
provide  written authorization for all checks written. This authorization
can be in the form of a written voucher from the president as we do in the
state affiliate, or it can show in the meeting minutes as a motion
authorizing payment of a given expense. Chapters and divisions must file
with the state Attorney General by April 30 and with the IRS by May 15.
Chapters are also responsible for making sure that their articles of
incorporation with the Secretary of state do not lapse. Presidents, if you
need further explanation or assistance with any of these things, please
contact Sherry Ruth directly.

9. Deb Kogler of Magnifiers and More was then introduced. Deb and her
company sponsored our lunch. She told us a little about her company and the
products she brought for demonstration. Everyone thanked her for sponsoring
our lunch.

10. Barbara Pierce moved that we make $5,000 available for convention
assistance. President Payne said that no one will get a full ride. He
encouraged anyone applying for assistance to consider honestly what they are
able to contribute. He also urged chapters and divisions to contribute to
the affiliate to help get people to the convention. He also emphasized that
there is a clear expectation that anyone receiving convention assistance
will participate fully in the convention. This means attending meetings and
convention sessions and working in the exhibit hall. Annette Lutz seconded
the motion, and it passed.

11. Eric Duffy moved that we contribute $300 to each of the following funds:

A. Kenneth Jernigan Fund
B. SUN Shares
		C. White Cane
		D. Imagination Fund
		E. tenBroek Fund
and $200 for door prizes. As it has done for many years, the board is asking
that chapters and divisions contribute to the affiliate to help defray the
door prize expense. If your chapter contributes to any of the
above-mentioned national funds, please do not send checks to Sherry Ruth.
Sherry should receive checks only for door prizes. Checks for the various
funds should be sent to Richard Payne well before the national convention.
Your contribution to the tenBroek Fund should come in a check written to the
tenBroek Fund. The other checks should each be written separately  to the
NFB   identifying the fund to which you are contributing in the memo portion
of the check and then placed in a separate envelope that is also identified
on the outside with the name of the contributing group, the fund name, and
the amount (including both checks and cash). If you want to verify that your
checks have been received, please email or call Richard directly. This is
not an appropriate Facebook inquiry.

12. Chapter, division, and committee reports were then given. Susan Day
reported that the Springfield chapter will conduct a fundraising concert on
May 24. JW Smith will be helping with the concert, and all are invited to
attend. Suzanne Turner said the membership committee will be working in
Youngstown and Lake County. Barbara Pierce reported that the calls hosted by
the senior division on dealing with blindness are continuing to be well
attended. Deanna Lewis reminded everyone to support our Malley's and
honey-baked ham fundraising efforts. Suzanne Turner said there will be a
call in June to discuss how we are financing the movement.

13. The meeting adjourned at 11:59 AM.

Respectfully submitted,

Eric Duffy, Secretary

Richard Payne,  President