[Ohio-Talk] The Verge of a Domestic Violence Crisis

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:51:27 UTC 2020

Below is a message from the Columbus City Attorney.

This is good information for everyone to have.

Eric,

National media outlets reported this week that experts are concerned about a range of secondary issues beyond those caused directly by the coronavirus. One that’s particularly troubling is the dramatic spike in domestic violence.

That concern is real.

In 2019, Columbus saw 7 domestic violence-related homicides. Yet just last month in March alone we had 3. Equally troubling: We had over 60 domestic violence arrests.

Here are a few things you can do to help:

Share this email with at least five friends
Share the National Domestic Violence Hotline ( 800-799-7233 )
Check in on your friends -- especially those who may be in abusive relationships
Those living in an abusive relationship must know that hope is not lost. Despite state lockdowns due to the coronavirus, resources are still available to those in need 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

In Columbus, our unique domestic violence and stalking unit remains open and accessible, prepared to help victims, and work with police and prosecutors to hold violent offenders accountable.

Of course, if anyone is in immediate danger of harm, never hesitate to call 911.

Eric, it’s clear that the anxiety associated with this virus crisis, coupled with quarantines and lockdowns, can make an already unstable relationship turn violent. Domestic violence victims are now more isolated, households are under more stress, and everyone’s locked down and locked in together.

Shelter-in-place messaging, which is critical to slow the spread of this virus, can create a dangerous atmosphere for victims. But it doesn’t have to be - hope and help are readily available. Spread the word that no one needs to live in or endure an abusive relationship, even during this pandemic.

Help us slow the spread of coronavirus and blunt the spike in domestic violence.

Thank you,

Zach