[Ohio-Talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 04/20/2020

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:00:51 UTC 2020

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I hope this message finds you doing well. Thank you to those who have shared ideas for our national convention. We are working as quickly as possible to pull plans together. I also want to thank our affiliates undertaking creative Zoom events. There are some really great offerings out there allowing our members to stay connected and active in our movement. If you are finding particularly effective ways to engage members and manage virtual meetings, including voting, I would encourage you to share your learning on the state affiliate leadership list.

If you are just getting tired of Zoom meetings, I will remind you that it is good to be “in the Zoom” where it happens. If you are not convinced, check out https://youtu.be/HCK_1ydMhiE.

Finally, I want to again give you a reminder that membership lists need to be submitted as soon as possible.

Critical Actions:

Seeking Those Applying for SSDI Benefits:

We are seeking blind persons who have recently been in the process of applying for SSDI benefits and have had to sign various forms for Social Security. Additionally, we wish to speak with those blind persons who recently have had to fill out the SSA Form 1696. This is the form that allows you to appoint someone else to represent you before SSA. This request is time sensitive. Please have such individuals contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>  or 410-659-9314, extension 2440.

News:

Presidential Release—May 1:

Attend the May Presidential Release (#494) of the National Federation of the Blind on May 1, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks and updates from the elected President of the National Federation of the Blind, the organization's first vice president, Pam Allen, will moderate questions. Members of the Federation are encouraged to attend, and non-members are warmly welcomed. Send your questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  and put PR494 in the subject line or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Details on how to join are coming soon.

CARES Act Economic Impact Payments:

We are continuing to bring you the most up-to-date information on these important relief payments. As you have noticed over the past week, the information and guidance from the federal agencies can, and sometimes does, change from day to day. Fortunately, the IRS has been much better at updating and relaying this critical information in recent days. If you would like to check the status of your payment, or enter your information to ensure you receive the $500 per qualifying child addition to your payment (important note: you will only need to do this if you receive Social Security retirement, SSDI, or SSI benefits), please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center <https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center> .

For the latest information, please visit our COVID-19 Resources Page <https://www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources> .

Celebrate #GivingTuesdayNow with Us:

#GivingTuesdayNow is a global day of giving and unity, set to take place on May 5, 2020, as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. Our partner, the Gibney Family Foundation, is generously matching all donations made. If you are able, please help us continue to advocate and provide essential services by contributing on #GivingTuesdayNow.

Lyft Offering Free Rides to Federation Members:

It is heartwarming that many corporate partners are reaching out to the National Federation of the Blind to be of assistance. Our rideshare partners at Lyft are providing us with a general coupon worth $25 per user. The code is being made available for use through April 30. It should be used to assist any blind person in your affiliate that you feel would benefit from this assistance. Members will need to contact affiliate presidents to receive a code and must submit the name of the individual requesting the code, their city and state, and a description of how the code will be used. More details to follow regarding the codes.

Distance Education—Daily Activities and Request for Feedback:

The National Federation of the Blind is providing daily distance education resources from practicing Braille to dancing. Share the videos of how-to activities and story time. Join the upcoming live, interactive Zoom lessons this week on National Picnic Day and participate in the great activities. Learn more about the  <https://www.nfb.org/resources/distance-education-resources> distance education resources.

As a result of schools shifting to virtual instruction to minimize the dangers of COVID-19, blind students may encounter increased accessibility barriers. Feedback is critical. If you or someone you know is facing an accessibility issue in school, please complete the Education Technology Survey <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey> .

Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques—Web Accessibility:

Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by access technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in access tech. The National Federation of the Blind is providing the following upcoming two-part session.

*         Tuesday, April 28, 11:00–12:30 p.m. eastern—Web Accessibility Part One: Intro to Web Accessibility

*         Tuesday, April 28, 2:00–3:30 p.m. eastern—Web Accessibility Part Two: How to Manually Test a Website for Accessibility

Learn more about accessibility boutiques <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>  and register today.

Reminders:

Events to Announce:
Please send upcoming virtual events that are intended for a national audience to communicationsteam at nfb.org <mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org>  by Sunday evening. Include the name, description, conference details, and if the event will be closed captioned. An email of the compiled events will go out each Wednesday. Please continue to promote events through local channels such as affiliate social media, website, and contacts.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	May 1: Distinguished Educator Award <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>  nomination deadline
*	May 1: Live Presidential Release
*	May 5: Giving Tuesday Now
*	June 1-12: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
*	June 10: Membership Open House
*	June 22-July 3: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
*	July 27-August 7: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition

*	July 14-19: NFB National Convention <https://www.nfb.org/convention> , Everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>