[Ohio-Talk] Message to us from Gary Wunder.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:21:19 UTC 2020

Ohio, I am counting on you to do this most of you cook other than Eric, so
can we submit recipes to Gary that will make it in to the Braille Monitor ?

Greetings to a few of you who will soon be asked for recipes for the Braille
Monitor, the first being Ohio. What do we want? We want from three to six
recipes from each state. They can be something particular to your geographic
area, a favorite that is prepared for affiliate events, or favorites that
your members prepare for their families and friends. Besides from three to
six recipes, we need a short one or two sentence biography of those whose
submissions you send. "Gary Wunder is the father of four, a former president
of the NFB of Missouri, and currently edits the Braille Monitor." "Jill
Smith is a freshman at the college of William and Mary and prepares these
snacks for her sorority sisters."

Now comes the hardest part. I would like a photo from those who submit. The
photos do a lot to enhance our print edition and make real these people who
do the impossible-cook tremendous taste treats. The recipes are more than a
start on a cookbook. They show that we cook and take care of ourselves, and
this can be a major source of encouragement for the blind and a source of
education for those who see. Before leaving the subject of photos, let me
say a few words about them. Grabbing a photo from Facebook will not meet our
needs. To save computer space Facebook scales down the pictures it displays.
We need high resolution photographs. Anything taken with a modern iPhone or
android equivalent will work. Any modern digital camera above five
megapixels will do very well. Sometimes people take high-resolution pictures
but are then fooled into scaling them back when the email program offers to
shrink them in order to save time and bandwidth. Please make sure that you
use the "original size" option when sending. Please don't discount
photographs. They are meaningful and provide credibility.

Since we use the contributions of one state each month, you can easily
figure out where you fall. I will try to follow up, but many of you are
surprised when it is your month, so please act on this warning and make it
easy for all of us.

We have recently asked members whether they would like the recipe column to
continue. It has been a part of this publication since 1971, and the
feedback I get is predominantly yes. The problem when I talk with those of
you who are state presidents is that you say people don't make submissions.
Please do what you can to get them, for I now understand that they are still
a respected and expected part of our publication.

Thank you for all the hard work you do.

Warmly,

Gary Wunder
Editor, Braille Monitor
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2360 | gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org>

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com