[Ohio-Talk] Questions about NFB conventions and seminars

Barbara Pierce barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 13:17:20 UTC 2020

Marianne is quite right that the working seminars like the Washington and Columbus seminars are asking people to come to work for the organization’s goals. We use the opportunity provided by having lots of people together to conduct training meetings for students, parents, merchants, and to offer employment seminars and tours of the national office, but basically we are putting people to work for the organization, thus, no registration fee. State conventions have registration fees because they are costly to conduct and the model for conventions is a registration fee, which people expect to pay. They attract more people in a state than any other NFB gathering, so we keep expenses low by charging low registration fees. The national convention has a higher registration fee because it is more expensive to put on and the group who can afford to attend can usually pay a bit more. But we are always aware that blind people have a 70 percent unemployment rate and plenty of people who attend the national convention save the entire year to get there. That is why we do not  have a $100 or $200 registration fee. The audience can’t afford it. We are a consumer organization, not a professional organization, and we will always be attentive to the needs of the rank and file membership.

Barbara Pierce, President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.