[Ohio-Talk] BRAILLE MONITOR edition, Houston Site of 2020 NFB Convention by Gary Wunder,

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 03:02:03 UTC 2020

Braille Monitor Vol. 63, No. 1January 2020

Gary Wunder, Editor

Houston Site of 2020 NFB Convention

The 2020 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take

place in Houston, Texas, July 14 to July 19, at the Hilton Americas-Houston

hotel, 1600 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77010. Make your room reservation as

soon as possible with the Hilton Americas-Houston. Call 1-800-236-2905 to

reserve your room in the main hotel. If you wish to stay in our overflow

hotel, the Marriott Marquis Houston, the number to call is 1-877-688-4323.

The 2020 room rate at our main hotel is $105 per night and applies to

singles and doubles as well as triples and quads. Hotel and sales taxes in

Houston are 13.38 percent and 8.25 percent, respectively. The rate for the

overflow Marriott Marquis is slightly higher at $119. As with our main

hotel, hotel and sales taxes are additional, and the nightly rate covers up

to four in a room. Both hotels will take a deposit of the first night's

room rate for each room and will require a credit card or a personal check.

If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card

immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Friday, June 1, 2020,

half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reservations may be made before June 1, 2020, assuming that rooms are still

available. After that time the hotels will not hold our room block for the

convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

Both hotels offer complimentary in-room wireless internet (though the

Marriott requires a free-to-establish Marriott Bonvoy account) and fitness

center access for all guests. All rooms are furnished with mini

refrigerators along with many of the usual amenities such as in-room safes,

irons and ironing boards, and hair dryers. After the day's events, you can

get your swim on at either hotel. The Hilton has an indoor pool on the 23rd

floor, while the Marriott features an outdoor pool adjacent to its Texas-

shaped lazy river pool. Both hotels have several on-premise dining outlets

with a broad range of additional options within a short walk from the front

door.

The schedule for the 2020 convention is:

Tuesday, July 14 Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 15Registration and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 16Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 17Opening Session

Saturday, July 18Business Session

Sunday, July 19Banquet Day and Adjournment