[Ohio-Talk] "If You Are Wondering"

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 00:25:25 UTC 2020

Ohio,

I would like to invite you to attend a conference call on attending the 2020
NFB National Convention. During this call, you will have an opportunity to
ask questions about this educational and yet empowering opportunity. In
addition, we will review the process for completing the application for the
Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship. I know that you also are wondering who is
Kenneth Jernigan. Well, tune in to find out about one of the most dynamic
leaders in the National Federation of the Blind movement.

The call will be held on January 29, 2020 at 7:00 PM. I will send out a
reminder and the conference line number one week prior to the meeting!

Students, Parents, Members and those on the fence, call in and participate
with us. Even if you've attended a convention, it is always good to be
refreshed.

Read the info below to help you formulate your questions. We may even have a
guest or two from the National Office.

Also, have pencil and paper, Braille writer, stylus, victor stream or
whatever to take necessary notes.

Suzanne

2020 NFB National Convention:

The Hilton Americas-Houston hotel (1600 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77010)
will serve as our convention headquarters hotel. The room rate is $105 for
singles, doubles, triples, and quads. In addition, the sales tax rate is
8.25 percent, and the hotel occupancy tax rate is 17 percent. Call,
1-800-236-2905 for reservations.

Note:

If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card
immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Monday, June 1, 2020, half
of the deposit will be returned. Also, I have inserted below the information
and link on the KJC Scholarship for first-timers. If you need assistance,
please let me know!

KJC Scholarship:

Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship provides funding support to
National Federation of the Blind members who want to attend a national
convention for the first time.

Eligibility

Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an NFB
National Convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How to Apply

Starting January 1, 2020, apply online using the Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship online application form.

The application will ask for the following information:

.Contact Information: Include your full name and both your primary phone
where you can be contacted by your state president and your mobile phone you
might use at convention, if available. Please include your mailing address
and, if you have one, your email address. If you don't have an email
address, please consider if there is a friend or chapter member who might be
able to assist with email correspondence.

.State Affiliate/Chapter Information: Include your state affiliate, your
state president, chapter, and chapter president, if you attend a chapter.

.Mentor Information: Include your personal convention mentor and provide
that person's phone number.

.Funding Request: Include your specific request and explain how much money
you need from this fund to make this trip possible for you. We suggest you
consult with other members to make a rough budget for yourself.

.Essay Questions: How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do
you want to attend a national convention? What would you receive? What can
you share or give? Provide any special circumstances you hope the committee
will take into consideration.

If you cannot apply online, you can still apply by writing a letter to your
state affiliate president answering the above questions. This letter should
be emailed to your state affiliate president. Once you have decided you will
apply, please contact your state president in person or by phone to request
his or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the state affiliate
president when to expect that your application will be submitted and mention
the deadline.

Once your online application has been submitted, your application will be
provided to your state president via email. It is still your responsibility
to contact your affiliate president. He or she must email a president's
recommendation directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund
Committee at  <mailto:kjscholarships at nfb.org> kjscholarships at nfb.org. Your
president must email the recommendation no later than the deadline of April
15, 2020. If you have applied outside of the online form, the state
affiliate president must email both the recommendation and the application
letter.