[Ohio-Talk] Screening out Blind Applicants because Software is Deemed Inaccessible

info at onhconsulting.com info at onhconsulting.com
Sat Jan 25 16:44:40 UTC 2020

Richard.

I've run smack into this issue several times in previous jobs and for one
work at home opportunity in particular I've explored. One question I've had
is that, being a social worker, a lot of the jobs available to me are from
non-profit agencies, which always have the avenue of citing undo hardship
provisions of the ADA to deny any claims of accessibility under the ADA.
There is also the implications of being perceived at a litigator from
bringing in big guns like the NFB National Office into play when saying
software is inaccessible--it's really a double edged sword, I think. I think
the solution is  offer incentives for private employers to make their
software applications accessible, so Blind people aren't perceived as
"special cases" that require software that sighted professionals know
nothing about or have perceived concerns about use in the workplace. This is
from someone who's had several sleepless nights dealing with as an employee
and have had to discuss in therapy prior to joining the Federation.

Just my thoughts.

Chris