[Ohio-Talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 05/04/2020

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:45:35 UTC 2020

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

We need your help pushing Giving Tuesday Now. Please share our Facebook event, solicit your networks, encourage the Federation spirit, and give if you can. Thank you so much to those affiliates and divisions that have already reached out with gifts above and beyond the normal contributions that would be given this time of year. The generosity of the Federation network is incredible.

Also, please take a moment to write a thank you note to The Gibney Family Foundation and email it to outreach at nfb.org <mailto:outreach at nfb.org> . It would be outstanding to have a thank you from each of our affiliates to our partner for Giving Tuesday Now.

Have a great week and keep building the Federation.

Critical Actions:

Celebrate #GivingTuesdayNow with Us:
#GivingTuesdayNow is a global day of giving and unity, set to take place on May 5, 2020, as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. Our partner, The Gibney Family Foundation <https://tgff.org/> , is generously matching all donations made. If you are able, please help us continue to advocate and provide essential services by contributing on #GivingTuesdayNow, and join us on Facebook <https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=16828&qid=3618590>  to see how we’re doing.

News:

May Presidential Release Live:

In case you missed it on Friday, the May Presidential Release recording and English transcript are now available at https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

Advocacy and Policy Update:

Several times in recent weeks I’ve made it a point to mention that the COVID-19 pandemic has not stopped, or even slowed, the work of the National Federation of the Blind. On April 10, we sent a letter to Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, urging her to not recommend any waivers for IDEA or the Rehabilitation Act during this national emergency. On April 27, Secretary DeVos sent her report to Congress and recommended no unnecessary waivers for the requirements of IDEA or the Rehabilitation Act. Today, we sent a letter to the chairs and ranking members of the relevant House and Senate committees <https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/files-pdf/letter-to-congress-concerning-the-dept-of-ed-report-on-waivers.pdf>  urging them to heed the secretary’s recommendations, while making a few of our own that will strengthen educational opportunities for students with disabilities during the pandemic and beyond.

In other legislative news, we continue to impress upon members of Congress the importance of the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 2086/S. 815). Most of you undoubtedly read John Paré’s legislative alert last week that was partially on this topic. While I’m sure many of you have already called or emailed your senators and representative, I would like to urge those of you who haven’t made those calls or sent those emails to do so as soon as possible. The next coronavirus relief legislation is just over the horizon, and we want to make sure that we build up enough support for the Access Technology Affordability Act to have it included in the bill.

May Issue of the Braille Monitor:

Check out the latest issue of the Braille Monitor, the National Federation of the Blind flagship publication. There are a number of articles this month about issues related to COVID-19 that may be of interest and an article about counseling and the coronavirus, a perspective on well-being, authored by Candace Chapman and Jeannie Massay. Read the  <https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm20/bm2005/bm2005tc.htm> May 2020 Braille Monitor.

Accessibility Boutiques for May:

Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by access technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in access tech. The National Federation of the Blind is providing the following boutiques in May:

*	How to Create Accessible Documents on May 12 at 2:00 p.m. eastern
*	The COVID-19 Response: Keeping Employees and Students Connected from Home on May 21 at 2:00 p.m. eastern
*	Textbook-Provider Showdown on May 26 at 8:30 a.m. eastern

Learn more about accessibility boutiques and register today <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques> .

Distance Education—Daily Activities and Request for Feedback:

The National Federation of the Blind is providing daily distance-education resources, from reviewing a calendar to creating a chain of kindness. Share the videos of how-to activities and story times. Join the upcoming live, interactive Zoom lesson on the slate and stylus—a versatile, portable tool for life. Learn more about the  <https://www.nfb.org/resources/distance-education-resources> distance-education resources. All of the videos can be found on the  <https://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1&view_as=subscriber> National Federation of the Blind YouTube channel.

Request for Students—Submit Feedback on Access Barriers:

As a result of COVID-19, many schools have shifted to virtual instruction. The National Federation of the Blind is gathering information regarding the accessibility of virtual instruction and education technology. If you are a student, parent, teacher, or administrator please take time now to complete the education technology survey <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey> .

Reminders:

National Convention Door Prizes:
Door prizes can be sent to the address below.

National Federation of the Blind
Attn: Convention—FS
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	May 5: Giving Tuesday Now
*	June 1-12: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
*	June 4: Live Presidential Release
*	June 10: Membership Open House
*	June 22-July 3: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
*	July 27-August 7: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition

*	July 14-18: NFB National Convention <https://www.nfb.org/convention> , Everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>