[Ohio-Talk] The DAN

Wanda wsloan118 at roadrunner.com
Thu Dec 23 03:17:55 UTC 2021

Diabetes Action Network

The Diabetes Action Network, a division of the National Federation of the
Blind, is a support and information network for all diabetics, especially
those who are blind or losing vision. Many of our members have experienced
ramifications of diabetes such as blindness, amputation, nerve damage, heart
problems, kidney disease, etc. Others have experienced no chronic
complications, but want to utilize our services, learn more about diabetes,
and be part of a caring support group. In addition to reaching out to fellow
diabetics who may be finding it difficult to cope with problems that
accompany diabetes, we provide support and information to interested
persons.

Please join our
listserv<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org>.
We have discussions covering all aspects of living with diabetes.

Blind diabetics and those losing vision can continue to be independent.

The blind can and do accurately draw up insulin, monitor blood glucose
levels, etc. Limitations are usually self-imposed, and often all that is
needed to overcome negative thinking is simply to know where to go for
information.

Some equipment (idde., audio output devices) has been adapted for the blind.
By using alternative techniques and products, the blind can control their
diabetes as efficiently as their sighted peers.

Benefits and Resources

Members of the Diabetes Action Network enjoy unique benefits such as access
to publications, automatic access to committees covering all aspects of
diabetes, free counseling concerning all facets of blindness and diabetes,
as well as access to diabetics who have experienced complications.

Members of the Diabetes Action Network also automatically become
members-at-large of the National Federation of the
Blind<https://nfb.org/get-involved/join-us>.

Blindness-related products, which enable blind and low-vision people to
perform everyday tasks more independently, can be ordered from the NFB's
Independence Market<https://nfb.org/programs-services/independence-market>.

Diabetic Living magazines are available through
NFB-NEWSLINE*.<https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline>, a free audio
news service for anyone who is blind, low-vision, or otherwise
print-disabled. It offers access to more than 500 publications, emergency
weather alerts, job listings, and more.

Our Mission

The NFB Diabetes Action Network educates, empowers, and inspires people
living with diabetes and its complications. We share the Federation's
'can-do' philosophy, through our various publications, volunteer peer
support, and advocacy for accessible diabetes technology. Together, we
challenge one another to live our best and fullest lives.

More about the NFB Diabetes Action Network

Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness among working-age adults. That's
why the National Federation of the Blind, the largest and most influential
membership organization of blind people in the United States, established
the NFB Diabetes Action Network (NFB DAN) twenty-two years ago. The NFB DAN
improves lives through advocacy, education, research, technology
development, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence.

Originally, the goal of NFB DAN was simple: to educate, empower and inspire
blind and visually impaired people with diabetes to manage their condition
independently and confidently and to advocate for accessible diabetes
products. Thousands of NFB DAN members manage multiple complica