[Ohio-Talk] Flying as a blind individual

Barbara Pierce barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 14:20:39 UTC 2021

I have a different perspective on air travel. Wanda is right about keeping tip cash and your ID close. I try to wear something with pockets. Keep checking to be sure that you have everything when u are picking things up at the check points. You don’t want to have to turn around and go back for something that you forgot. By the way, I have had a sky cap forget that he was pulling my case, so check to be sure that, if you have given someone else responsibility for some part of your possessions, check to be sure that he or she has grabbed them for you at security. They get so flummoxed because they are accompanying a blind person, that they forget the usual things that they do. I do not make arrangements before I fly for assistance. Now that I have back trouble and don’t have as many steps in my system, I frequently accept assistance, but I never take a wheelchair. If you have trouble walking distances, the chair is fine, but I personally do not what to reinforce the idea that blindness means that there is something wrong with my legs. That is why I insist, when I can, on an escalator rather than an elevator. You have some useable vision. If you can see where the bulk of passengers from your flight are going, you can just go with the flow. Use your cane. It explains any questions you may wish to ask, like which carousel are the bags from American flight 780 on. That reminds me, know your flight number. People will generally fall all over themselves to help you. If I have not acquired a sky cap by the time I get to where I am going to pick up my bag, I just move up to the moving platform and use the cane  too identify that a bag is in front of me. I then lean down and touch it to see if it is mine. People will soon ask what color your bag is or if there is a defining characteristic so that they can warn you if a likely bag is coming. This is when it is best not to have a black roller bag—just like ten thousand others. My weekender is a black and white paisley print with splashes of purple—very easy to spot. If you have a sky cap finding your bag, do not leave the area without checking to be sure that it is your bag. If you are getting into a cab, be sure that you give your case only to the driver to place in the car. We left an airport in France without my son’s laptop because he was not paying attention, but we had all of my luggage.

If you want to talk further or ask other questions, just call me after Wednesday when we are finished with our Congressional visits.
Barbara
Barbara Pierce, President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.