[Ohio-Talk] Information that you should read

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:23:44 UTC 2021

Ohio,  we are getting very close to the state convention. Chapter and
division presidents, you should already have submitted your gavel reports to
the awards committee the deadline was October first. Whether you decided to
take part in that process or not You are required to email me a chapter
report with the activity from your chapter or division. This information is
due at the same time with your chapter and division list and dues.
each local chapter or division shall provide to the secretary of the
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio a current list of the names,
addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses when applicable of its
members I would also like a copy of this information. At the same time, the
treasurer shall forward to the treasurer of the National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio the state dues for each member of the group.  The dues should
be sent to Todd Elzey at 3779 Waterbury Dr. Kettering Ohio 45439no later
than one week before the convention.
 I also need to know who you are appointing to the nominating committee

If you have questions or need a better understanding of anything in this
email, please email me off list.

National news and information from president Riccobono,
Friday is White Cane Awareness Day! Thank you for your work to build
equality and opportunity for the blind every day. Let's celebrate
independence and freedom because of our collective work in the organized
blind movement. Take a walk, demonstrate the Federation spirit in action,
and use the hashtag #BlindMonth when you share it on social media.

News:
	Double Your Dollars: Matching Gift Opportunity:
	A generous supporter of the National Federation of the Blind has
pledged to match the first $50,000 in contributions made during Blind
Equality Achievement Month. Double your dollars and help turn dreams into
reality with employment and beyond. Thank you for helping us continue our
important work to raise expectations.
	Three ways to give:
*	Online at nfb.org/donate <https://nfb.org/donate>
*	Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
*	Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314,
extension 2282

	Where the Blind Work Webinar:
	In celebration of Blind Equality Achievement Month, this upcoming
webinar is a panel discussion with blind and low-vision professionals. On
Thursday, October 14, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, hear about what a typical day
looks like, discover elements that prepare for career success, learn about
alternative techniques and strategies used to do these jobs, as well as how
to advocate for accommodations on the job. Register for the webinar today
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23101&qid=> .

	Share the Free White Cane Program:
	October 15 is White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-ca
ne-awareness-day> . Each year the National Federation of the Blind
distributes free white canes across the county. Any blind individual in the
fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico can request a cane
for their personal use. Requests can be made as often as every six months.
Celebrate October 15 and share the Free White Cane Program
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program> .

	AbilityOne NPRM:
	On October 7, the AbilityOne Commission held a virtual public
meeting. At that meeting they discussed a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(NPRM) that would be published in the Federal Register on October 12. The
NPRM was published and is twenty-seven pages long and is entitled
"Prohibition on the Payment of Subminimum Wages Under 14(c) Certificates as
a Qualification for Participation as a Nonprofit Agency Under the Javits
Wagner O'Day Program
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/10/12/2021-22118/prohibition
-on-the-payment-of-subminimum-wages-under-14c-certificates-as-a-qualificatio
n-for> ." As the title indicates, the proposed rule phases out subminimum
wages on all AbilityOne contracts. We are working on our comments and hope
to officially submit them and then publish them on our website within the
next two weeks. We will then have additional information about how we can
all bolster those comments.

	Scholarship Program Update: Applications Opening December 1:
	The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is
the largest of its kind in the nation. Every year, we award thousands of
dollars to blind scholars across the country. Save the date: the 2022
scholarship program application will open December 1, 2021.
https://nfb.org/scholarships

	New Group: NFB in the Kitchen:
	Welcome to our newest National Federation of the Blind group, NFB in
the Kitchen, chaired by chef Regina Mitchell. This group is intended to
serve as a resource for blind individuals with any level of cooking
experience, as well as to serve as an advocacy resource within the
Federation to advance the accessibility of online cooking resources and
important home appliances. The listserv is coming soon. Learn more about all
of our Federation groups
<https://nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/groups> .

	Blind Equality Achievement Month Twitter Chat, October 21:
	Join the National Federation of the Blind on Twitter to discuss
employment and Blind Equality Achievement Month on October 21 at 1:30 p.m.,
eastern. A Twitter chat is a scheduled, organized, topical conversation on
Twitter centralized around a specific hashtag. For this chat, we will be
using #BlindMonth. The questions will be shared in advance. Learn more about
Twitter to prepare for the chat <https://nfb.org/get-involved/twitter-chats>
.

Reminders:
	Pledge Fulfillment:
	Thanks to our affiliates who have already fulfilled pledges made
during our roll call of states at national convention. If your affiliate has
not yet fulfilled pledges to any of our funds, please remember that our goal
is for this to be complete before the end of the year. If you have any
questions, please reach out to Patti Chang at 410-659-9314, extension 2422,
or pchang at nfb.org <mailto:pchang at nfb.org> . If you know your payments will
not come until closer to the end of the year, please let Patti know.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
	(all times eastern)
*	October 14: Where the Blind Works Webinar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-month/2021_where_the_blind_work_web
inar> , 8:00 p.m.
*	October 15: White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-month/2021_where_the_blind_work_web
inar>
*	October 21: Blind Equality Achievement Month Twitter Chat, 1:30 p.m.
*	November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	November 18: NFB Training Centers Meeting, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 1: NFB Scholarship Program <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
applications open
*	December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 5-10, 2022: National Convention, New Orleans
Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>
blindness is not what holds you back.