[Ohio-Talk] Blind Equality Achievement Month

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 01:46:48 UTC 2021

Blind Equality Achievement Month
Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. Formerly
known as Meet the Blind Month, the National Federation of the Blind
celebrates the organized blind movement during October. Throughout the
month, our members conduct a variety of outreach activities in their local
communities. Many of these activities center on White Cane Awareness Day
which is October 15.
Kickoff Blind Equality Achievement Month on Friday, October 1 at noon
Eastern with President Mark Riccobono during the presidential release
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?id=468&reset=1> .
Where the Blind Work Webinar
Thursday, October 14 at 8 p.m. Eastern | Join us as we celebrate the work
and accomplishments of blind and low-vision people with a panel discussion.
Hear about what a typical day looks like, discover elements that prepare for
career success, learn about alternative techniques and strategies used to do
these jobs, as well as how to advocate for accommodations on the job.
Register for the webinar today
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23101&qid=6005222> .
White Cane Awareness Day
The National Federation of the Blind celebrates White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/white-cane-awareness-day
>  every year on October 15. For blind people, the white cane is an
essential tool that gives us the ability to achieve a full and independent
life. It allows us to move freely and safely from place to place-whether
it's at work, at school, or around our neighborhoods.
White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation
Anyone can encourage their local government to issue a White Cane Awareness
Day Proclamation. This is a great way to involve your local community and
educate the public about the blind. Please print out either the White Cane
Awareness Day Proclamation (HTML)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/white-cane-awareness
-day-proclamation>  or the White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation (Word)
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/white-cane-awareness-day-proclama
tion-final.docx>  and share it with your local administration.
Courtesy Rules of Blindness
Our sighted friends often ask for advice regarding what they should do or
say when meeting a blind person. Blind people are ordinary people, so please
don't be nervous around us. We are also highly capable people, so please
don't grab our arms, our canes, or our guide dogs if we haven't asked you to
do so. For more tips, read our courtesy rules of blindness
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/courtesy-rules-blindness
> .

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368