[Ohio-Talk] Steve Vincki Article

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:31:53 UTC 2022

Steve Vincke, Business Enterprise Operator
 <>
Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page <https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDAsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMjEyMDkuNjc5NDQ2MjEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2NvbnRlbnQuZ292ZGVsaXZlcnkuY29tL2FjY291bnRzL09IT09EL2J1bGxldGlucy8zM2M0MDYyIn0.7B9CZ32svKG68oxYRou0omf2yMkFTYQdLhy5VWDac58/s/513100047/br/150002070249-l>.

Entrepreneur Retires After 33 Years in Business

Steve Vincke is pictured with his wife, Karen Whalen.
After more than 33 years as a Business Enterprise Operator, Steve Vincke, retired at the end of October 2022. “I have retired after a very successful career with the Business Enterprise Program,” Steve explained. “This is a great program, and I would recommend it to others who are blind.  I enjoyed every minute of it.”

Steve was a vendor in the Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) Business Enterprise (BE) Program <https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDEsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMjEyMDkuNjc5NDQ2MjEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL29vZC5vaGlvLmdvdi9hYm91dC11cy9wcm9ncmFtcy1hbmQtcGFydG5lcnNoaXBzL2J1c2luZXNzLWVudGVycHJpc2UtcHJvZ3JhbSJ9.iS3_vqQDaLhdtiRXcxRQAaJ_Alvm-3GNF2zYnGxGu8Y/s/513100047/br/150002070249-l>, which recruits, trains, and licenses Ohioans who are legally blind to have entrepreneurial careers in food service management. These opportunities include the management of cafeterias, convenience stores, snack bars, and vending in state and federal buildings, as well as interstate highway rest areas, where licensed operators have bidding priority on vacant vending facilities under the Randolph Sheppard Act and Ohio Revised Code. Operators also run businesses at state universities, colleges, and county buildings. OOD Business Enterprise Consultants provide ongoing support, technical assistance, and training to operators.

Steve explained, “Around the age of 18 or 19, I realized I had an eye problem and started getting in car accidents and running into things. I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa. I didn’t know what I was going to do for a career.”

In his twenties, Steve tried working different jobs. “I bounced around but had a good family behind me to help support me,” he explained. Eventually, Steve connected OOD, known as Rehabilitation Services Commission at the time, and received employment support from a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. Thinking the BE Program might be a good fit for Steve, the counselor gave Steve a list of BE locations to visit in downtown Dayton.

“When I started looking at facilities, I’d walk in, get a cup of coffee, and visit with the operators.  I was amazed to find that they had specialized equipment to help them do their jobs. They even had talking cash registers, which was major technology in the 80s,” Steve said.

In 1988, Steve completed training to become a BE Operator and started his own business. “Being your own boss, making your own decisions—it was great! I was offered all of the independence that you could want,” Steve explained. While he managed several facilities during his tenure, Steve spent most of his career operating the I-70 EB Madison County rest area.

If you would like to learn more, visit the BE Program webpage <https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDIsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMjEyMDkuNjc5NDQ2MjEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL29vZC5vaGlvLmdvdi9hYm91dC11cy9wcm9ncmFtcy1hbmQtcGFydG5lcnNoaXBzL2J1c2luZXNzLWVudGVycHJpc2UtcHJvZ3JhbSJ9.sn9eA76lGCUDXOWWi8_wuqpauiltJOYnlvlLZ8btNHY/s/513100047/br/150002070249-l>. If you have questions, please contact Christy Hauck at 614-312-1271 or Christine.Hauck at ood.ohio.gov <mailto:Christine.Hauck at ood.ohio.gov>.