[Ohio-Talk] Washington career fair and other employment activities

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 22:42:38 UTC 2022

Dear Job Seeker or Job Developer for the Blind,

Thanks for your interest. The Washington Seminar Career Fair will be a
virtual Zoom fair. It will occur on Monday February 7, 2022, from 11 am to 1
pm eastern time. I expect the registration form for employers to be up soon
on this link:

https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-sem
inar-career-fair.

There is no charge for the fair. Our career fairs usually bring in around
100 to 200 blind job seekers, plus some agency job developers who are
looking for jobs for their clientele. The number of employers varies, but
usually ranges from 20 to 40. They are seeking all kinds of skills and
experience. There are full time jobs, part time and seasonal jobs, and
internships. An increasing number involve remote work.

The NFB Employment Committee, which I chair, runs the career fairs and other
employment activities during the year. It is our goal to bring employers who
are interested in hiring blind people in contact with blind people who are
looking for employment. We do seminars and other activities to help blind
job seekers develop interviewing and other skills. We also help answer
employer questions about hiring blind people.

Each employer who attends our virtual career fairs will get a Zoom room
which they can customize to meet their needs. The room is expandable, so
they can have a waiting area in which job seekers can get general
information about the organization and its career offerings, and up to five
breakout rooms in which recruiters can conduct screening interviews. Job
seekers enter the main room on a first come, first served basis. If too many
job seekers show up at one time, you may be asked to return later.

We intend to provide job seekers and job developers with Zoom etiquette and
interviewing training before the career fair. See dates below, Deafblind job
seekers are welcome to attend the career fair but should arrange for local
interpreters with their state rehab agency or participating employers. Any
deafblind person who has problems doing this should email me well in
advance, as we probably won't be able to help at the last minute.

I want to strongly encourage all of you to attend our seminars on January 17
and 24. The first seminar will teach you how to interview for jobs in the
Zoom environment. The second will teach you how to do fearless and competent
job interviews. Please do not show up on February 7 wondering what to do. If
you need extra help, contact me well in advance, and we will attempt to find
someone to help you personally.

Here are some deadlines for you:

First week of January 2022: registration opens for employers, job seekers,
and job developers.

Monday, January 17 from 7:00 to 8:15 pm eastern time: Zoom Etiquette and
Tools for Blind Job Seekers.

Monday, January 24 from 7:00 to 8:15 pm eastern time: Fearless Interviewing
for Blind Job Seekers.

January 21, 2022, 5 pm Pacific time: last day for registrations.

Week of January 24: distribution of registered employer spreadsheet to
jobseekers. Distribution of registered job seeker spreadsheet and resumes to
employers. Employers and job seekers can contact each other to set up
interview times at the career fair.

Week of January 31: distribution of Zoom rooms to employers: employer Zoom
room training. Job seekers and job developers receive access information for
employer Zoom rooms.

February 7: career fair 11 am to 1 pm eastern time.

This may not answer all your questions, but it should be a good start.
Emailing me is best. Include your phone number so I can call you back.

Best wishes,

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee

612-719-0753 (texts only)