[Ohio-Talk] Who is this guy?

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:07:24 UTC 2022

Todd Thrives as a Freelance Reporter

	Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
View it as a Web page
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDAsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMjAxMjEuNTIxNDIwMzEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL2NvbnRlbnQuZ292ZGVsaXZlcnkuY29tL2FjY291bnRzL09IT09EL2J1bGxldGlucy8z
MDZjZDZjIn0.DhBFRXLdRkTD1UWnApQFTmuKmogiA9y1Rjv9-GRbrKM/s/1373045393/br/1254
34936093-l> .

Todd Thrives as a Freelance Reporter

Todd Elzey grew up in West Jefferson, Ohio. He lost his eyesight and part of
his hearing at birth from congenital rubella syndrome, brought on from
measles his mother was exposed to during pregnancy.

Todd began working with Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) in
August of 2020. He had recently moved back to Ohio from Phelps, New York,
where he lived for 15 years and held several jobs. He lost his last job out
of state when reading paper files was too challenging with his visual
disabilities.

Todd, who has a law degree, debated returning to a traditional job but felt
accessibility and transportation would continue to be barriers. A friend
encouraged him to move to Dayton and contact OOD as he contemplated a new
career.

When Todd met with OOD Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Tiffani
McGuire-Edwards, he expressed a desire to write and pursue his own media
site. Tiffani arranged informational interviews and scheduled low vision and
rehabilitation technology evaluations through Goodwill Easterseals Miami
Valley.

Following the evaluations, OOD provided Todd with assistive technology,
including eSight, which combines a camera, screens, and software to improve
visual acuity. Todd used eSight to cover a Kettering Fairmont Firebirds v.
Archbishop Alter Knights football game from the press box and could see
everything down to the numbers on the players' shirts.

"I've always been a sports fanatic," said Todd. "The fact that I can now
cover high school football, baseball, track and field, and other large-scale
events and write about these sports for others is a game-changer for my
freelance writing career."

Todd's disability also extends to his hearing. Todd is deaf in his left ear,
has only partial hearing in his right ear, and has worn a hearing aid since
second grade. He was referred to the McGuire Hearing Center in Dayton and
matched with a Phonak Naida hearing aid and a Roger On microphone that
captures and transmits sound to the hearing aid. Todd could hear everything
the Council members said when he covered a Kettering City Council meeting.

"I went from seeing and hearing nothing to everything," said Todd. "None of
this would have been possible without OOD."

"The eSight and the Roger On have allowed Todd to have more opportunities to
do what he loves. He is experiencing success, and we are so glad we helped
him find that path," Tiffani said.

Todd explained, "OOD has helped me stay working and has helped me to expand
what I'm covering to earn more income. I can see more and hear more. It is
opening up a whole new set of environments that I couldn't have access to
before."

If you or somebody you know has a disability and would like to work, visit
OODWorks.com or call 800-282-4536.

Rapid COVID-19 Testing

Ohio has invested in rapid COVID-19 testing with a goal of using fast, free,
and convenient testing to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Learn more about
rapid COVID-19 testing.

For trusted information on coronavirus (COVID-19) in Ohio, visit
coronavirus.ohio.gov or call 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).

All About Accessibility: Affordable Connectivity Program

Congress created the Affordable Connectivity Program, providing a discount
of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and
up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible
households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a
laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they
contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price. Learn
more at www.fcc.gov/acp <http://www.fcc.gov/acp> .

In the News
Youngstown Municipal Court Partners with State to Help Defendants with
Disabilities
WKBN, 1-20-22

Bengals Legend Holds Autism Fundraiser with Cincinnati Fans
WXIX, 1-20-22

Ed Roberts Day Celebrated by the Defiance Board of DD
The Crescent-News, 1-20-22

Ability Center Opens Registration for Scholarships
WTVG, 1-20-22

A Blind Skateboarder's Return to the Ramp
The New Yorker, 1-19-22

Athens City Commission on Disabilities Sets Plans, Events for 2022
The Post, 1-28-22

Lesson of the Day: "At-Home Coronavirus Tests are Inaccessible to Blind
People"
The New York Times, 1-18-22

Inspired by Lack of Representation, Deaf Teen Publishes Her Own American
Sign Language Book
Fox 2 Detroit, 1-17-22

 	Questions?
Contact Us
Want a job? Have a disability?
OODWorks.com
Subscriber Services:
Manage Preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Help
Stay Connected:

Help us support more individuals with disabilities by forwarding to someone
you know.
Programs provided by Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) are
funded, in whole or in part, with federal grants awarded by the U.S.
Department of Education (DOE) or the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services (HHS). For purposes of the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Program,
including Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS), OOD received 78.7%
of its funding through the DOE VR grant. In Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2021,
OOD received $105,851,903 in federal funds. Funds appropriated by the State
covered 21.3 % of the total costs, or $28,648,609. Of these federal funds,
$15,877,785 is set aside for Pre-ETS.
For purposes of the Supported Employment (SE) Program, the DOE SE grant
funded 90% of the costs for the Supported Employment for Youth with a
Disability Program up to the grant amount and 100% of the costs of regular
Supported Employment program costs up to the grant amount. In FFY 2021, OOD
received $299,041 for SE Youth with a Disability, and State appropriated
funds paid the remaining 10%, or $32,933 of the total costs. In FFY 2021,
OOD received $335,518 in regular SE grant funds.
For purposes of the Independent Living Services for Older Individuals Who
are Blind (OIB) Program, the federal grant received from DOE in FFY 2021
paid 90% of the total costs incurred under the program. In FFY 2021, OOD
received $1,139,118 in federal grant funds. Funds appropriated by the State
paid over the 10% required match, or $126,568 of the total costs incurred
under the OIB program. For purposes of the Independent Living (IL) Program,
the federal grant received from HHS paid 90% of the total costs incurred in
FFY 2021. In FFY 2021, OOD received $638,013 in federal grant funds. Funds
appropriated by the State paid over the 10% of the match required or $70,268
of the total costs incurred under the IL Program.

This email was sent to rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:rchpay7 at gmail.com>  using
GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Opportunities for Ohioans
with Disabilities . 150 E. Campus View Blvd . Columbus, Ohio 43235

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>
blindness is not what holds you back.