[Ohio-Talk] children using a cane

marianne at denningweb.com marianne at denningweb.com
Fri May 13 18:38:07 UTC 2022

I am looking for opinions here. I am an advocate for a student in public
school. It sounds like his family lives in the country. The O&M instructor
told his mom that most blind people don't use their canes at home so he does
not use the cane when he goes different places on their property. I am
encouraging Mom to have him use the cane outside the house so he gains
confidence in his cane technique. He is 6 years old and still holds hands
with a family member when they are out in the community. He does carry his
cane but it is for identification. I have to admit I was never introduced to
the cane and learned to travel in my small community without a cane but that
should have never happened.