[Ohio-Talk] children using a cane

ali benmerzouga ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 19:34:56 UTC 2022

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for posting such an important issue.

First, I do agree with you that we should never leave home without having
and using our long white cane even if we have a sighted guide. It should
apply to kids too.

The White cane is our eyes!

The other thing, when roaming in your own country/property, you never know
when there is a branch of wood, a rock, a pothole, wires, ropes, and things
of that sort that may cause a serious accident.

I do feel much safer when using my cane in places that I don't visit that
much in my house. Otherwise, and when ignoring my cane from time to time, I
do face problems and hurt myself. That's a fact and not an exaggeration! It
happened to me yesterday in the basement.

Also, from time to time, the white cane does teach us new sounds of some new
objects, the floor/ground texture, exploring new things by touching them
using the cane, etc.

That's me and that's how I feel about the issue.

Thanks.

Ali