[Ohio-Talk] White Canes and their Use

Colleen Roth n8tnv52 at outlook.com
Sat May 14 22:28:57 UTC 2022

Hi Ali,
I was told that Staff were afraid students would accidentally hit each other when using their canes. Staff also said they could not teach younger children because they didn't have the Staff and it was inappropriate for young children to use a cane.
I could not figure out how to use Echolocation. I was too busy trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to turn. I was always very frightened when I walked alone at OSSB. I really wanted my cane.
I did ask about this when I started at Ossb.
My mother was happy because she did not like my cane.
When I started at St. Ursula I used my cane.
She arranged it with the person she worked with that she gave a ride to work to that she would walk me into the Building.
I went in the back door which was a little more private. It was also very near our lockers.
I was probably the worst student any Mobility Teacher ever had. My teacher at the Toledo Society for the Blind did not spend all her time worrying about Technique. She encouraged me and I actually was allowed to travel routes outside. Me Rehabilitation Counselor was blind; he was a Federationist and introduced me to the NFB when I was 16.
He took me around BGSU since he graduated from there. He never put me down or yelled at me.
I shut down when men yell at me.
The Discovery Method might work for some people but with my Anxiety Disorder I would have been kicked out the first day when I had a panic attack.
That is how I react when learning Technology.
Since my Polaris is fast becoming obsolete I am learning to use the PC with Jaws with a Focus 40.
I also have an Orbit to use with my cell phone when I get it later this summer. I can also use it to take notes.
When people teach others they should not yell, scream, or put others down. I really like to learn from a Totally blind person because they do not depend on their vision to the point that they cannot think of how to teach a totally blind person.
I have a very good teacher right now. Eric Duffy is a good teacher. He has never yelled at me or made disparaging comments.
Enjoy National Convention. I hope to go in 2023.
Colleen Roth