[Ohio-Talk] White Canes and their Use

ali benmerzouga ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 14:22:10 UTC 2022

Colleen,

Thank you so much for your reply and the clarifications.

I agree with you, blind training the blind is the best when it is available.

Speaking of your mother not wanting you to use your cane, my father also did
not want me to wear my eyeglasses when I was in the elementary school/Third
grade. It is ok with him to wear them when in the classroom only. It was a
kind of shame and the surrounding community pressure/lack of education. If
by any chance he'll find me wearing them while in the house, he will yell
and scream at me and order me to remove them, to the best of my
recollections. Also, students in the school and friends in the development
called me "four eyes.", so because of my Dad, friends and people, I did not
wear my eyeglasses properly until I started college.

Have a wonderful day.

Ali