[Ohio-Talk] Happy Birthday to the National Federation of the Blind

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:57:26 UTC 2022

Good morning. November 16, 2022 is the 82nd Birthday of the National
Federation of the Blind. Join me in celebrating this milestone in our
history of changing what it means to be blind. Much has changed since our
founding November 16, 1940. But one thing that remains the same is that as
an organization we are still fighting to improve the lives of blind people.
We fight everyday to raise the expectations of what it is to be blind in
Ohio and America.

When Birthdays come it is important to look back on where we have come from
so that we can chart where we want to go from here. One of the great
resources we have to look back on our history as a movement is the book
Walking Alone and Marching Together. This book tells much of the early
history of how the NFB came about and what we accomplished in our early
years. It is an important reminder of what those who have gone before us
did to ensure that we can continue the work of the NFB today.

The history discussed in Walking Alone and Marching Together can serve as a
catalyst for building our organization to be stronger in the future. And we
can read it for free. The book is available via web at
https://nfb.org/sites/default/files/images/nfb/publications/books/wamt/wamtc.htm
I also understand that it is available for download as an audio book via
BARD.

I hope everyone will take some time to celebrate the NFB's 82nd Anniversary
by learning a little bit about how we got to this milestone.

Todd Elzey, Treasurer