[Ohio-Talk] All Are Welcome To Attend a special program of gifting to angels on tomorrow!

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 02:57:23 UTC 2023

Ohio Members and Friends,

Please join The Cleveland Chapter and the Ohio Affiliate, as we participate
with the Circle City Chapter in the Indiana Affiliate to participate in
their Christmas Angel Gifting Program. All of the details are below and I
hope to see Ohioans in the zoom room.

Suzanne

///

The Angel Child Gifting & Service Award Banquet, hosted by the National
Federation of The Blind, Circle City Chapter of Indiana, was initially
called "Angel Child," and was launched in December of 2003.

The chapter introduced the annual gifting effort with a fervent desire to
give back to the community by assisting families struggling during the
Holiday Season. Because many people generally view the blind community as
those seeking a hand-out, on the contrary, many coping with blindness are
willing and eager to extend a hand-up - therefore, the idea and concept
rapidly gravitated within the Circle City Chapter, was voted on and promptly
enacted.

The initial Angel Child Gifting involved Chapter members gathering
pre-selected families who had been predetermined as eligible to receive
assistance. That criteria, previously determined by the Chapter Board and
members, was, at least one family member had to be coping with blindness -
parent or child and had to additionally have been eligible or received
government assistance, TANF, SNAP, SSI, etc. The families were referred by
chapter members and assisted through monetary donations/pledges from its
members.

Families were contacted and food, toys, clothing and other necessities were
purchased for them. Originally, two families were selected for assistance.
Concerns arose however, when the effort of connecting with the families of
agencies was halted, due to privacy policies and restrictions.

In 2005, brainstorming brought on new hope - under the Presidency of Lee
Martin, the Angel Child Gifting Banquet expanded to include four families.
Moreover, new strategies were adopted and set forth. Instead of the
purchasing of items, Visa gift cards were alternatively, awarded to gifting
families. This idea supported the National Federation of The Blind Circle
City Chapter's mission and its initiative to ensure and promote individual
independence. Recognizing need is not only confined to the blind or disabled
community, the NFB Circle City Chapter extended its gifting to include all
eligible families - sighted and blind.

The National Federation of the Blind Circle City Chapter believes that the
structure of family is enhanced through the foundation of people
strengthening people - my children, your children, family, hopeful and
strong.

What began initially as a financial/family strengthening Christmas
assistance program took on another plateau after the idea of hosting a
banquet was included. The Angel Child Gifting Banquet evening is comprised
of music/entertainment, guest speakers, dinner with beverages, and the
gifting of $250.00 to selected families. This annual event continues to
evolve into the Angel Child Gifting and Service Award banquet which
recognizes the dedication of individuals with 25 years of service in the
field of blindness. These individuals are nominated by family, colleagues,
peers and other agencies as one with caring, humble, outstanding,
characteristics - going above and beyond what was required of their
profession.

The Johnetta Harrington Spirit Award, was established for the everyday
common good willed citizen who exemplified her humble giving and dedicated
spirit

The National Federation of the Blind, Circle City Chapter, believes that
acknowledging those who have helped us along our journey is an essential
bridge we build for others who might have to walk on that similar path.

The objective of the NFB Circle City Chapter of Indiana's Angel Child
Gifting & Service Award Banquet is to collectively enhance the lives of
underserved families/children during the Holiday Season, strengthen the
family structure and to recognize those who have contributed in our efforts.

Community donors and contributors:

Alpha Mu Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated,
Indianapolis

Artistic Awards

Bosma Enterprises

Greater Circle City Indiana Chapter of Drifters

Indiana School for the Blind & Visually Impaired

Neighbors, Colleagues & Friends

NFB Circle City Chapter

NFB-Indiana Affiliate

NFB-Ohio Affiliate

The Global pandemic of 2020 has advanced our efforts to seek selected
families throughout our state and provide the Angel Child gifting with their
attendance on the zoom platform.

Our 2023 Angel Child program will be statewide and virtual for the third
year and we are relishing the opportunity to serve as the need is as great
as in previous years.

The Angel Child program will be held Saturday, December 2, 2023, 4:00p.m -
6:00p.m.  using the Zoom platform.

 <https://www.facebook.com/CircleCityIndy/>
https://www.facebook.com/CircleCityIndy/

The Circle City Chapter is a 501c3