[Ohio-Talk] Legislative Alert - March 3, 2023

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 14:54:19 UTC 2023

I would like members to read this Legislative Alert and act by reaching out to your reps and if you need help please reach out to the leadership.

>From "Pare, John via NFBNet-Members-List"
<nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
To "nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org" <nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org> Date 3/3/2023 4:36:31 PM Subject [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert - March 3, 2023

Dear Federation Family:

I have great legislative news. Three of our legislative priorities were introduced this week! They are:

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act in the Senate S.
533, introduced by Senators Bob Casey and Steve Danes

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act in the House
H.R. 1263, introduced by Representatives Bobby Scott and Cathy McMorris
Rodgers

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act in the House H.R. 1328,
introduced by Representative Jan Schakowsky with 32 originating
cosponsors

We hope to have news on the Websites and Software Applications
Accessibility Act, the Blind Americans Return to Work Act, and the
Access Technology Affordability Act in the very near future. In the
meantime, we want to build cosponsor support on each of these three
bills especially the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. I
stress this bill because with 32 originating cosponsors we are already
well on our way to moving this bill forward.

So, please urge your Representative to cosponsor the Transformation to
Competitive Integrated Employment Act, H.R. 1263, and the Medical Device
Nonvisual Accessibility Act, H.R. 1328. Also, please urge your two
Senators to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated
Employment Act, S. 533.

When you call or email your representative, you might say the following:

"Hello, I’m [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE
NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE
NAME] to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R.
1328). This legislation authorizes the FDA to establish a minimum
nonvisual access standard for Class II and Class III medical devices so
that blind people can operate them safely and independently.

I would also like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to cosponsor the
Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act, H.R. 1263. This
legislation would gradually phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act and eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to people
with disabilities.

Thanks."

When you call or email your senators, you might say the following:

"Hello, I’m [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [SENATOR NAME]. I
live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like to urge [SENATOR NAME] to cosponsor
the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act, S. 533.
This legislation would gradually phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair
Labor Standards Act and eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to
people with disabilities.

Thanks.”

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol
Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is
202-224-3121. If you email your representative, please copy Justin Young
at jyoung at nfb.org. For your convenience, we have attached lists of
nearly every legislative director in both the House and Senate. If you
are having trouble locating a specific contact, please email Jesa
Medders at jmedders at nfb.org. Your calls and emails do make a difference.

Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.

Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | Jpare at nfb.org <mailto:Jpare at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind
<https://nfb.org/>

Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Twitter
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com