[Ohio-Talk] Experience the Eclipse

Eric blind5dtn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:14:45 UTC 2024

FYI.

For immediate release
March 27, 2024

Ohio Agencies Light the Way for Inclusive Total Eclipse Experience
Joint Effort by ODNR and OOD Enhances Accessibility for Ohioans with Disabilities During Solar Eclipse Event

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) have joined forces to introduceLightSound <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=04b4d5dcdd&e=82fa5b2863> technology at Ohio state parks and wildlife areas, enhancing accessibility for Ohioans who are blind or have low vision during the April 8 solar eclipse.

“Ensuring accessibility for all Ohioans is a priority for our administration,” Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said. “By partnering with OOD and ODNR to introduce LightSound technology, we're taking meaningful steps to leave no Ohioan behind, especially during significant events like the solar eclipse."

 LightSound device will be used at ODNR properties for the total solar eclipse.

Developed in 2017, the LightSound device offers a unique way for individuals who are blind or have low vision to experience a solar eclipse through sound. Utilizing sonification, the device converts light intensity data into audible tones, allowing users to perceive changes as the moon eclipses the sun.

“We’re hard at work to make sure everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the total solar eclipse in Ohio’s beautiful, natural spaces.” ODNR Director Mary Mertz said. “We’re excited to partner with OOD to make this once-in-a-lifetime event even more accessible.”

For Media: Download soundbites and b-roll <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=266deb118e&e=82fa5b2863>.

"As an agency dedicated to empowering Ohioans with disabilities, OOD is proud to embrace innovative technology like LightSound," said Kevin L. Miller, OOD Director. "By leveraging such advancements, we promote a more accessible Ohio.”

The Harvard University Astronomy Lab has provided LightSound devices that will be deployed at the following ODNR locations:
Alum Creek State Park
Delaware State Park
East Harbor State Park
Findley State Park
Geneva State Park
Grand Lake State Park
Headlands Beach State Park
Hueston Woods State Park
Indian Lake State Park
Lake Loramie State Park
Maumee Bay State Park
Mohican State Park
Mt. Gilead State Park
Portage Lakes State Park
Punderson State Park
Sycamore State Park
Wingfoot Lake State Park
Buck Creek State Park
John Bryan State Park
Kelleys Island State Park
Malabar Farm State Park
Mosquito Lake State Park
Pymatuning State Park
West Branch State Park
Van Buren State Park
Spring Valley Wildlife Area Shooting Range
Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and Visitor Center
Delaware Wildlife Area Shooting Range
Wildlife District Three Akron Office

These devices will be connected to speakers, allowing groups to experience the eclipse together.

In addition to LightSound, OOD and DNR are promoting the Eclipse Soundscapes app <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=c2fbcabf7b&e=82fa5b2863>, available for free on Android and iPhone devices. This multimedia experience, designed inclusively for individuals who are blind or have low vision, offers educational resources and interactive features to engage users during eclipses. Through its “Eclipse Center” and “Rumple Map” functionalities, the app empowers users to explore upcoming eclipses and experience them through sound and touch.

For more information about the LightSound devices and other plans for the total solar eclipse, visit the ODNR Eclipse webpage <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=7392725b11&e=82fa5b2863>.

OOD is the state agency responsible for empowering Ohioans with disabilities through employment, disability determinations, and independence. www.OOD.Ohio.Gov <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=a867031610&e=82fa5b2863>

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=7352f33d0d&e=82fa5b2863>.

-30-

Editor’s Note: See interviews and b-roll of LightSound devices <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=88be20556e&e=82fa5b2863>
High resolution photo <https://ohiodnr.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9762d9943f454cab103416c32&id=ba3bde3269&e=82fa5b2863>

For more information, contact:
Andy Chow <mailto:andy.chow at dnr.ohio.gov>, ODNR Office of Communications
Media Line: 614-265-6860
Mobile: 614-202-4756
or
Holly Leber <mailto:andy.chow at dnr.ohio.gov>, Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
Phone: 614-512-9467

Copyright © 2024 Ohio Department of Natural Resources, All rights reserved.