[Perform-talk] Sing Out Mag

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Jul 12 14:45:50 UTC 2010

Hi Brad,
I subscribed to Sing Out! earlier this year and receive the accessible
format. Sing Out! has long been a great resource for singer/songwriters
and others in the folk community, but before you sign up, here are a few
thoughts.

Currently, there are 2 subscribers to the accessible version and editor
Mark Moss expressed his frustration with the expense of the project and
the lack of subscribers. One of the two is me and the other one told him
that he/she would be comfortable scanning and reading the print edition
if the accessible one was no longer available. So, I don't know how long
he'll do it.

I don't know why he isn't getting an accessible electronic version that
would work for sighted and blind readers, but he isn't. The accessible
version is a .rtf file which is done in columns like the print edition.
I find it difficult to deal with, so I always transfer it into a
standard .doc format. Neither version allows you to use the Table of
Contents to find things by page number. The way the accessible version
works is that you subscribe and receive the print version along with
whatever CDs they send out (it's a quarterly publication). The .rtf
arrives via e-mail.

One thing you should look into is going online to:
singout.org
and seeing what's available in terms of the calendar of events. I'm not
sure what you're looking for, but if it's the names  of clubs and
festivals, rather than the articles about performers and the folk
community, maybe the site can meet your needs.

The magazine is having financial problems. I am doing a series about
them for their 60th anniversary, which is running on Suite 101. So far,
some of the people I have interviewed are: singer-songwriters Ellis
Paul, Steve Gillette, Sara Hickman, Uke Jackson, Wanda Fisher (folk
deejay from upstate NY) and Mark Moss the editor.

HTH,
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org