[Perform-talk] Rights to a Jingle

Brad Dunse brad at braddunsemusic.com
Tue Mar 9 22:39:57 UTC 2010

Copyrights are owned  from the point of the pen hitting the paper. Proof of
that is where it matters, hence the registration of copyrights through the
Library of Congress Copyright Office. If it is something you plan to pitch
to them as a promo that's cool, but it ought be  demoed in a professional
ready to go out of the box jingle, with openess to changing it if they wish
to fit any commercial motif they may be heading on. If it is a song or
something you're going to YouTube, care need be taken using their name.
Most times using a trademarked name or common name in  a song is OK as long
as it shows them in good light, from a performer they feel is likeable. As
for their owning your jingle simpley because you used their name, they have
none. You'd only be pitching it to them and if they say no, its a moot
issue because it won't be on the market or flying about anywhere. Hope that
helps. Good luck on  that project.

Brad

At 04:28 PM 3/9/2010, you wrote:
>Hi listers.
>I have written a jingle for Starbucks and would like to know if I can
>copyrite it as my own or if Starbucks would have a legal claim to it since
>it mentions their name.  Thanks.
>Eddie
>Perform-talk:
>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/perform-talk_nfbnet.org/brad%40braddunsemusic.com

>signature database 4930 (20100309) __________

>http://www.eset.com

Brad Dunse

Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway

Phone: 715-760-0712
E Mail: brad at braddunsemusic.com

Website: http://www.braddunsemusic.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brad-Dunse-Music/191788857382