[Perform-talk] Rights to a Jingle

Brad Dunse brad at braddunsemusic.com
Thu Mar 25 20:28:10 UTC 2010

Eddie,

No worries. It is, and always is, your copyright and right to change or
not. They can ask you if you'd change something for them to use it, but
they can't just change it themselves. They receive no royalty from it. They
likely will have to apply for a sync license to be able to air it on TV.
Perhaps a master license and mechanical non-compulsory license depending on
what they all wish to do with it. You might wish to get it air ready,
approach the right contacts in the company. Which doesn't mean "Dear
Marketing Director", it means finding out through what means you need to
contact personally the person in charge of these things, present it in a
professional way, as the professional you are. If they offer you a contract
, it would be good with a company this size and potential if they were in
fact interested, to have an entertainment attorney look at it. Regular
attorney's do not know the standard fare. It could be they would try to
offer you a one time purchase of it along with all the rights, but I
wouldn't do that myself. Someone mentioned NSAI I think? Can't remember if
that was here or another list, , if you are a member, you can always
utilize them for specifics too. SongU.com also has classes on these types
of things. There are also books like This Business Of Music available form
RFB&D that explain a lot of things.

Brad

At 11:12 AM 3/25/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Brad.  Sorry it has taken me so long to write back.  this is very
>helpful.  Now, if they change the jingle and I agree to the changes, what
>sort of royalties do they receive as a result of those changes if any?
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Dunse" <brad at braddunsemusic.com>

Brad Dunse

The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we
miss it,
but that it is too low and we reach it

Phone: 715-760-0712
E Mail: brad at braddunsemusic.com