[Perform-talk] Talent Show: Whose Responsibility Is It?

David Dunphy djdrocks4ever at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:17:59 UTC 2011

On 4/28/2011 10:01 AM, Dennis Sumlin wrote:
> Thank you Marion. Thank you thank you thank you. Very well said.
>
> On 4/28/11, Marion Gwizdala<blind411 at verizon.net>  wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>      I have been reading the numerous messages on this list about the quality
>> of the talent show and I wanted to offer my perspective. Several of the
>> messages criticize the quality of the broadcast and a few comments shared
>> the challenges they faced hearing themselves while performing. Though there
>> were one or two individuals who offered input on how such issues could be
>> resolved, a majority of the messages were only criticisms with nothing
>> constructive offered to remedy the issues.
>>      The Performing Arts Division is a membership organization. As such, the
>> organization belongs to the members. Membership carries with it certain
>> privileges, among those, the right to speak on the floor, vote, and hold
>> office. With every privilege, there are concomitant responsibilities. Our
>> speech should be respectful and the leaders we elect should be diligent,
>> accountable and responsive.
>>      Producing a talent show takes quite a bit of work and providing good
>> sound takes a little bit of money. Membership dues are not intended to be a
>> fund raising program but a token of commitment. PAD raises funds through its
>> other endeavors, such as the sale of albums. I believe that last year's
>> talent show featured about 30 performers. yet, only a handful of those
>> performers volunteered to staff the PAD table and raise funds to help defray
>> the costs associated with the show and the other initiatives of the
>> division. In fact, to the best of my memory, it seemed that the same few
>> individuals staffed the table the entire time the exhibit hall was open.
>>      If this division is to be successful achieving its goals, it requires
>> the support of its membership. This means more than just paying dues; it
>> requires you to be involved. If you want the division to produce a quality
>> Showcase of Talent, you must do more than just show up! As the adage says,
>> "You are either a part of the problem or a part of the solution!" Which will
>> you be?
>>
>> Fraternally yours,
>> Marion Gwizdala

>> Perform-talk:
>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/perform-talk_nfbnet.org/denmaster77%40gmail.com

I concur completely. Especially where I do the recordings and the
airings of the talent show, and will be doing so this year too, if
you're not going to help me do anything better or differently, I don't
want to hear one single complaint. Now if you just don't know how to
deal with audio and the like, that's one thing. But if you're someone
who knows a bit about audio production, or can help with that sort of
stuff, don't wait like a certain person did last year who shal remain
nameless. If you think you can help, email me here or off list at
djdrocks4ever at gmail.com
and we can talk. But don't wait til the end to tell me how much you hate
the broadcast when not offering to help in any way, you'll be ignored.