[Perform-talk] Purpose

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:51:03 UTC 2015

The performing arts is one of the many other pursuits we know of where
blind people have to gain recognition as "Normal people."  The
expectation that a blind person can be a successful singer, actress,
or performer in another capacity is hampered by the societal
perceptions of blindness itself.  We don't want to be stuck only being
expected to play blind character roles, or always being touted as
wonderful whenever we sing.  If a performance is good we want to be
recognized for the practice or musicianship that went into it rather
than the fact that we pulled it off without sight.  A lot of this
bleeds over to the media of course, because the vast majority of
articles I've seen about blind performers pull at inspirational
heartstrings of readers rather than educate them about blindness and
how performers are like anyone else on the stage.  Of course I'm using
terms like stage and such because my personal experiences lie there,
but this is true for artists who showcase their talents in other
arenas as well.

I remember a few years ago Julie put it really nicely in her board
speech.  Blind performers are so under and misrepresented in this
industry and this needs to change.  Jordy might have the official
purpose on hand, but that is the interpretation I have of it.

--
Kaiti