[Perform-Talk] Introduction/reintroduction

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 02:26:10 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I do believe that I introduced myself to the list at some point, but
in the spirit of making the list more active I figured a
reintroduction wouldn't hurt.

My name is Kaiti Shelton and I currently serve as secretary of the
performing arts division.  I am pursuing a B.M in music therapy from
the University of Dayton in Ohio, where I also live when not in school
in case anyone is also close by and wants to jam sometime.  My primary
instrument is the clarinet, but as music therapy requires me to be
proficient on several other instruments I consider myself more of a
jack-of-most-trades.  My favorite instrument out of all that I can
play is the guitar, but I can also play piano, percussion including
hand drums and set, electric bass, ukulele, and I sing fairly well.  I
love tinkering with other instruments whenever I get the chance, and
have dabbled a bit with everything from violin and viola in a high
strings class I took last year to orf instruments and other odds and
ends I use in my work.

I have some experience in dance, acting, and public speaking as well,
though obviously as an undergraduate student in a music program that
is the art that takes up the majority of my time.  In addition to my
studdies in school I record weekly covers which I post to my twitter
account via an app called audioboom.  They're nothing special---just
one-take covers wherein I accompany myself, but even though I'm not a
highly trained vocalist I enjoy doing them and they help me build my
repertoire.  I'd love to learn how to make the transition to using
youtube recordings, in the future, but in the meantime this method
works well.  My long-term goal for employment is to work in either a
children's hospital, a school with students who have developmental
disabilities, or in an early intervention program with small children.
I'm currently working with a young man who has Down Syndrome and love
that kind of work, but I'm trying to keep my options open.  I am also
considering of doing part-time private practice on the side, though I
would hope that would not be my only source of employment.

One of my other projects in the performing arts division is our
mentoring project (yes, we have a mentoring project).  This is a
program that is still very much in its infancy, but I have a brilliant
committee thus far and we'll start working on the details soon.  We
hope to be launching the surveys and databases we will use to gather
information for matching people up in January 2016, and we also hope
that the purpose of the databases will allow for people to locate
other performing artists by several categories including geographic
location, performing arts medium, instrument, level of proficiency,
etc.  In this way the mentoring program will also facilitate general
networking for those who might be searching for other artists to jam
or gig with, or just to ask general questions.  If you are interested
in contributing to this project either before the databases and
surveys are ready to be launched, after in matching mentor-mentee
pairs, or both please let me know.  I intend to have the committee
meet next week and would love to hear from more of you, especially
those in dance, drama, or public speaking.

Feel free to contact me off-list at this address if you have any
questions or comments.  I am looking forward to seeing where this
division goes over the next few months and hearing from more of you on
the list.

Thanks,
--
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton-Music Therapy

"You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!"