[Perform-Talk] musical influences, cont'd

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:47:03 UTC 2016

Thanks for reminding me to cover the standards—I gradually grew into the biggies—Sinatra, Cole, Bennett, etc. They’re timeless! H’mm, I’ll have to sample some of the later Prince—I’m also really into the old Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears—stuff that verges on fusion (incidentally, also Manhattan Transfer and Vince Gueraldi). I guess I was typing too fast before—my apologies, when I was discussing back-masking, to neglect the name of the band for “More Power To Ya”—it’s Petra. Back to Prince, though—you can, even in his greatest hits, note the jazz influence—e.g., in “When Doves Cry,” when he kinda scats “doo doo-bee-doo, wo-o-o-o”

Yeah, the trailer park, that’s another good one to add to the country-back-masking theme... love it!

Sandra
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

---