[Perform-Talk] musical influences--yet more

Cameron Strife cameron at cameronstrife.com
Sat Apr 30 02:42:48 UTC 2016

Hi.

Phil was/is a very good drummer!

I like the Genesis and Phil solo stuff but the solo stuff Peter
Gabriel put out is largely more "progressive" musically and he takes
many more chances than Phil's radio friendly family friendly stuff. I
mean there is certainly a place for that, and that's fine, however,
when music historians look back, I think Gabriel's solo output would
be judged to be more meaningful. (And I don't mean progressive in
terms of odd time signatures, crazy solos, and tons of key changes but
progressive in terms of sampling, incorporating elements and
performers from world music, and covering some topics lyrically that
can be dark and uncomfortable to some.)

Thoughts anybody?

In any case, both of them deserve all of their success.

Cameron.