[Perform-Talk] need some ideas

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 15:14:34 UTC 2016

Sandra:

I am also a soprano and have acted as soloist and section leader.  There are
several ways you can deal with the various duties of this position.  The
financial forms can be done with a sighted person to help you or if someone
has the forms on computer so all you have to do is fill in the information.
Taking attendance can be done easily if you can recognize the voices of your
fellow sopranos.  Otherwise, ask someone to let you know who is missing so
you can make a note of their names.  The more difficult job will be the
marks and notes the director gives the singers for the music.  I have done
this many times but it does take some creative ways to get the job done.  I
used Braille music so making marks or changes is not possible.  I could take
a separate sheet of paper and write out the marks and changes but, that is
much too slow at the speed most choral directors go as they are going
through the music during rehearsals.  I always record rehearsals so I can go
back and listen to any notes or marks that have been given.  Most of the
time I just memorize them but have them written out just in case.  If there
are too many notes within one piece of music.  In that case, you have to be
able to read Braille on two different sheets with both hands at the same
time.  It takes some juggling of pages but, I have done it many times.  I
sang with one director who made many changes to the music often including
having the sopranos join with the altos for some sections.  Most of the time
in Braille music we only get our soprano part so I had to write out those
sections myself.  I think you should give this a lot of thought and consider
the ways you can modify the various tasks to suit your needs and still
satisfy the choral director.  Then when you sit down with them you will
already have some ideas to present.  Many times a director is more relaxed
if you have already thought out how you can do what is required to fill this
position as a section leader.  Good luck to you and feel free to contact me
if you have any other questions.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net