[Perform-Talk] section leader possibilities

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:47:51 UTC 2016

Thanks to everyone who’s taking the time to comment on my last post. I am going to copy/paste your (anonymous) info into a Word doc to bring to the initial rehearsal/registration to show our current section leader and our chorus manager (thankfully, I expect our director will need minimal involvement, since the section leader is responsible for things like ordering music, coordinating most of the registration, etc). I am not a reader of Braille music (as in, notation), but do use a Braille score with just page and measure  #s, dynamics and other things either Brailled in or marked in with my own system of raised markings, all taken from tapes readers do of the words and all that other info, so I do keep loose tabs on the notes our conductor passes along; I haven’t had to be as specific about  making every single marking, but always kept the digital recorder I use for the entire rehearsal rolling, in case he was going way too fast for me to do the markings or, obviously, I couldn’t truck a Brailler off to every rehearsal so would have to wait ‘til I got home to fine-tune anything that required letters or words, so I’m already somewhat ahead and confirming those remarks as handy! The donation sheets are for people who have either donated or arranged to place ads in our programs for the year, and I think that would be the heaviest level of sighted assistance I’d need, because they are all hand-written by the donor or the person seeking the donation (e.g., a walk-in visit to a local store by a Chorale member). Cash, obviously, can be done with the money identifier, and I will need sighted assistance for checks. When I meet with our chorus manager, I will check in with her about confidentiality concerns using live readers may engender, for tasks like that. Going back to the distribution of director’s notes—our alto section leader (sighted) already does that by email, and I think it’s a really nice strategy for everyone: whoever was there gets reminders, whoever wasn’t gets up to speed on what they missed. I like the thoughts about various ways to handle attendance, and will consider them and see what would be best. Notetaker is not feasible—I always truck a ton of stuff already (you should see my knapsack—it’s actually a weekender bag; am thinking about getting a rolling shopping bag or something, in the future—getting too old to sling 20 pounds of stuff onto my shoulders any more; open to suggestions for rolling luggage, too—preferably not something that looks overly-suitcasey; want something that can handle the following: big music notebook holding 8x11 Braille, as well as standard manila envelope of print music scores, probably 2-1/2 inches thick; 16-oz. vacuum stainless steel thermal of hot tea; small metal lunch bot of fundraising candy sold at rehearsals; crafting project for the down times when other voice parts are the focus of attention; folding cane; other miscellaneous. I really appreciate all your positive attitudes—it’s a miracle I’m even considering this position, since I’m generally not a natural leader—but I think something happens to a person in their 50’s, and they start discovering heretofore-untapped boldness!! I’ll keep you posted on my decision, and please do keep the suggestions coming—I’m always up for a good brainstorm session! Thanks!

Sandra
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

---