[Perform-Talk] A note about the surveys and mentoring

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 06:14:38 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just thought of this potential question myself, so I thought I might
try to head off any potential confusion before it arises.

Q: What if I don't strictly perform music, dance, acting, or public
speaking?  Can I still complete the surveys?

A: Yes---and please do.  Those categories represent broad spectrums of
the performing arts.  Music does not only mean classical musicians; if
you make covers and post them to Youtube in your bedroom, mix with
Garageband, DJ, or anything else generally related to music, please
fill out a survey.  We still want to hear from you.  If you're feeling
unsure of which survey to fill out (say for improv commedy), you can
use your best judgement or email nfbpad.mentoring at gmail.com for
guidance before completing the survey.  A good rule of thumb to figure
out where that might go, for example, is assess whether you are acting
as yourself or adopt a different character.  If yourself, I'd go with
public speaking.  Dance can include other forms of movement-based art
as well.  If you do synchronized horseback riding, swimming, marching
band, drill team, or anything like that, go ahead and tell us about
it.  Even if you're not thinking of it as dance, there are going to be
some principles of dance that carry over.

Your participation in the survey and/or mentoring program is much
appreciated.  If you have comments or further questions on this or
other matters, nfbpad.mentoring at gmail.com is the address to shoot them
to.

Thanks,

--
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton-Music Therapy

"You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!"