[Perform-Talk] Call for performing artists

Jordy Stringer jordystringer83 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:25:37 UTC 2018

Greetings federation family, I hope this note finds you all well.

The following message comes from Milenka Berengolc and it is:

I want to make sure that you all know the good news that the Department of
Cultural Affairs via Staten Island Arts has awarded a grant to support, in
part,
our curatorial art and disability project, now entitled Artists Undeterred.
(We dropped the word "Diversability”.)

This is a multi-faceted project that will include two exhibitions in Staten
Island - at the Pride Center of Staten Island in the summer of 2018, and at
the Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art at Snug Harbor Cultural Center in
the fall of 2018, as well as a panel discussion, artist's talk, community
engagement
workshops, several performances, and an event in Brooklyn. Artists
Undeterred will provide a forum for accomplished artists who exemplify
boldness and
determination, and an expanded frame of reference for general
audiences. The project will explore the complex relationship of disability
vis-à-vis contemporary
art, through the lens of creators and producers who are disabled and whose
work addresses disability. This dynamic initiative will include a core
multi-media
exhibition amplified by an artist talk; dance/performance art; and a panel
discussion around artists and disability, identity and perception, and
cultural
and social barriers and awareness.

We are very pleased that Riva Lehrer will be a participating artist, and
that Kevin Gotkin will be moderating our panel discussion. We are very
excited
to present a performance by 4 Wheel City in the fall, and also thrilled
that Heidi Latsky Dance will perform a version of ON D.I.S.P.L.A.Y at the
opening
of the exhibition at the Newhouse Galleries

Attached please find the Call for Artists. Margaret Chase, Co-Curator, and
I would greatly appreciate it if you could post and disseminate it on
whatever
platforms are available to you, along with the project logo and tagline
(attached). Of course, we also welcome any suggestions you may have of
accomplished
disabled artists who may be interested in submitting or participating, or
if you yourself would like to submit work.

Many Thanks,

Milenka

-- Jordy D. Stringer
ILS