[Perform-Talk] major audio issues with windows ten via bootcamp on my MacBook pro... Driver issue?

Cameron Strife cameron at cameronstrife.com
Sat Sep 29 04:08:24 UTC 2018

Hi everyone. I have been doing forum searches and reading articles etc
and can't figure out what's going on here. If anybody has any tips,
please let me know! Thanks.

I recently sold my two older macs and bought a new 2018 MacBook pro
with ssd, six core processor, and 16 gigs of ram.

I do some things on the mac side and some on the windows side. I had
been using windows ten on my old iMac. I upgraded from my windows
seven install on that machine and did not have the issues I am about
to lay out here...

I ended up buying a windows ten license and doing a clean install,
setting up everything from scratch. I downloaded the latest version of
bootcamp the day I did the windows ten install.

With any sort of audio playback whether it be audio files through a
media player, screen reader output, audio streaming from a web site,
or good old system sounds, I can hear a noise gate even at low
volumes. This results in the first syllable of every word being cut
off with jaws or NVDA for example when navigating around or typing
etc. Also, everything is squashed. The amount of compression is un
freaking bearable! The odd thing is that with my old machine running
windows ten via the upgrade, I had no issues with audio playback. It
was fine. This... This is just a mess. I don't know what group of
people came to the conclusion that these features/settings were good
for anything under any circumstances.

I have music I am very familiar with and I use a nice set of Marintse
headphones. I know what they sound like normally and they do not sound
like this.

I am aware of the windows ten audio enhancement features that are
turned on by default. I've read all about that and know how to turn it
off. However, when I look in the properties dialogue box, I do not
have a tab called enhancements for the on board headphones or
speakers. According to everything I've read, this is where I need to
be to turn this garbage off but it's simply not here. I can't seem to
find a way to disable them via the command prompt or the registry
either. I do have a tab called spacial sound but even if it's off, it
makes no difference.

The audio on my mac OS partition is fine an I do not have these issues
with my focusrite saffire pro 40.

This leads me to believe that it may be a driver issue with this
version of bootcamp... If the drivers are the culprit however, why can
I not find a single reference to this missing tab?

And yes, I did uninstall the Apple headphones and speaker drivers. I
thought that when windows ten restarts, it may grab a generic driver
and that would solve the issue. No luck though! When I went back into
sound and then device manager, both were back!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cameron.